Location: EC4 1031
Phone: 519-888-4567 x37560
Dr. Toyserkani holds the Canada Research Chair position in Additive Manufacturing (AM) and has over 20 years of experience in different aspects of AM research and development, from mechatronics AM system development to AM applications in medicine and engineering. He established the first AM laboratory at a Canadian university - the Multi-Scale Additive Manufacturing (MSAM) Laboratory – which focuses on the development of the next generation of AM processes and applications.
His lab is now the most comprehensive AM academic facility in Canada and one of the top 5 academic AM facilities in the world. His extensive experience in AM and leadership have allowed him to devote his academic life to addressing AM challenges holistically and promoting this strategic research area at the national and international level.
He is an active steward in the AM field. He is the director of a Pan-Canadian NSERC Strategic Network entitled “Holistic Innovation in Additive Manufacturing (HI-AM)”, that brings together leading AM experts from seven top Canadian universities including University of Waterloo, University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University, University of Alberta, Laval, and, Dalhousie. Several international universities and 14 industrial partners are involved in this network. Further information can be found in this website: HI-AM | NSERC Network for Holistic Innovation in Additive Manufacturing (nserc-hi-am.ca).
He is a voting member of the American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM)-Committee F42, which is a leading committee in the development of standards for AM. He is also a member of the AM Advisory Committee of Advanced Manufacturing Supercluster (NGen) and was a member of the NSERC Selection Committee for Strategic Grant Applications (Advanced Manufacturing Target Area) from 2015 to 2018. He has been invited for >50 talks/panels in different countries. His research has been highlighted in many magazines and newspapers such as “The Globe and Mail”.
He has 18 granted/pending patents on different aspects of AM. He has actively transferred his innovative technologies to industry. Two start-up companies have been established that stem from his R&D programs.
His research is having a significant impact in the young AM field. He has published 135 AM-related journal articles (received >5800 citations as of October 2021). His research has been recognized through many awards/honours.
- Additive Manufacturing
- In-situ monitoring and closed-loop control of Additive Manufacturing
- Laser Material Processing
- Mechatronics Design
- Bio-additive Manufacturing
- Additive Manufacturing of Smart Structures with Embedded Optical Sensors
- Advanced Manufacturing
- 2003, Doctorate Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada
- 1995, Master's Mechanical Engineering, Polytechnic (Amirkabir) University of Technology, Iran
- 1992, Bachelor's Mechanical Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Iran
- UW Faculty of Engineering Graduate Supervision Excellence Award, 2021.
- University of Waterloo Outstanding Performance Award, 2019.
- Canada Research Chair in Additive Manufacturing, Nov 2017 to now
- University of Waterloo Outstanding Performance Award, 2016.
- University Research Chair in Additive Manufacturing, 2015 to 2017.
- University of Waterloo Outstanding Performance Award, 2013.
- UW Faculty of Engineering Teaching Excellence Award, 2011.
- NSERC-Discovery Accelerator Supplement Award, 2010.
- ME 212 - Dynamics
- ME 739 - Manufacturing Processes Topics
- Taught in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023
* Only courses taught in the past 5 years are displayed.
- E. Toyserkani, D. Sarker, O. Ibhadode, F. Liravi, P. Russo, K. Taherkhani “Metal Additive Manufacturing”, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, ISBN: 978-1-119-21078-8, 1st Ed., 624 pages, Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, 2021
- M. Hasanabadi, A. Keshavarzkermani, H. Asgari, N. Azizi, A. Gerlich, and E. Toyserkani, “In-situ microstructure control by laser post-exposure treatment during laser powder-bed fusion”. Additive Manufacturing Letters, 2022.
- K. Taherkhani, C. Eischer, and E. Toyserkani, “An unsupervised machine learning algorithm for in-situ defect-detection in laser powder-bed fusion”, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 81: 476-489, 2022.
- F. Kaji, A. Budhwani, E. Toyserkani, M. Zimny, “A deep-learning-based in-situ surface anomaly detection platform for laser directed energy deposition via powder feeding”, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 81: 624-637, 2022.
- E. Davoodi, H. Montazerian, A. S. Mirhakimi, M. Zhianmanesh, O. Ibhadode, S. Imani Shahabad, R. Esmaeilizadeh, A. Sarikhani, S. Toorandaz, S. Sarabi, R. Nasiri, Y.i Zhu, J. Kadkhodapour, B. Li, A.Khademhosseini, E. Toyserkani, “Additively Manufactured Metallic Biomaterials”, Bioactive Materials, 15: 214–249, 2022.
- S. Iman, Ehsan Toyserkani, A. Bonakdar, "Thermal modelling approach for powder bed fusion additive manufacturing", patent application EP4035802 A1 and WO2022161657 filed by Siemens, August 2022.
- L. Lefebvre, E. Marzbanrad, E. Toyserkani, J. Vandenberg “Fabrication of Palladium-Chromium Alloy Micro-particles” US 11,311,941 B2, filed by GE Aviation, April 26, 2022.
- E. Toyserkani, M. Vlasea, and Y. Shanjani, “Systems and methods for additive manufacturing of heterogeneous porous structures and structures made therefrom”, Canadian Patent, CA 2936015 C, 25 May 2021.
- O. Ibhadode, A. Bonakdar, E. Toyserkani, “Computer-implemented topology optimization model for components under design-dependent loads”, Filed for patent by Siemens, Official file number: patent application EP4012595 and WO2022122229., July 15, 2022.
- O. Ibhadode, Ehsan Toyserkani, Ali Bonakdar, “Computer-implemented method of reducing support structures in topology optimized design for additive manufacturing”, Patent application EP4016365, and WO2022128361., July 22, 2022.
- A. Keshavarz, Ehsan Toyserkani, Ali Bonakdar, " Simulation of solidification and grain structure in powder-bed fusion additive" Patent Application EP4059641A1, WO2022194432A1by Siemens, Official file number: 21163379.7, September 22, 2022.
- A. Martinez, E. Toyserkani, “Particle Stream Path, Cross-sectional Size and Shape Modification Methods” PCT/CA2021/050358, March 2021.
- E. Toyserkani, F. Liravi, A. Bonakdar, Y. Mahmoodkhani, U. Ali, S. Chenouri, “Method and system for optimizing process parameters in an additive manufacturing process”, Patent application WO2020204883A1, October 10, 2020.
- L. Lefebvre, E. Toyserkani, C. F. Dibia, E. Jabari, J. Vandenberg, “Strain Sensor 3D Printing”, US Patent US 10,823,626 B2, filed by GE Aviation, Nov. 3, 2020.
- L. Lefebvre E. Marzbanrad, E. Toyserkani, B. Zhao, J. Vandenberg “Fabrication of Chromium Metal Mixtures in the Form of Core-Shell Nanoparticles”, US patent application US 2020/0306835 A1, filed by GE Aviation, Oct. 1, 2020.
- L. Lefebvre, E. Marzbanrad, J. Vandenberg, E. Toyserkani, B. Zhao, E. Jabari, “Ink Formulation for Chromium-Containing Metallic Micro-particles”, US patent application US 2020/0308704 A1, filed by GE Aviation, Oct. 1, 2020.
- C.F. Dibia, E. Toyserkani and L. Lefebvre, “Modeling Strain Sensors on Complex Substrates” US patent application with Invention ID=89362295, filed by GE Aviation, Jan 14, 2019.
- E. Toyserkani and E. Jabari, “Method and apparatus for aerosol-based three-dimensional (3D) printing of flexible graphene electronic devices”, US Patent 10,400,119 B2, October 10, 2019.
- E. Toyserkani, M. Vlasea, and Y. Shanjani, “Systems and methods for additive manufacturing of heterogeneous porous structures and structures made therefrom”, Granted United States Patent 9,630,249, April 25, 2017.
- E. Toyserkani, T.R.Y. Liang and A. Azhari, “Multi-parameter optical sensor and method for optical sensor manufacturing”, PCT/CA2014/050492, PAT 77838W-90 WO, May 26, 2014.
- H. Alemohammad and E. Toyserkani “Superstructure fiber Bragg grating sensors embedded in metallic structures and additive manufacturing the same”, International patent (PCT) PCT/CA2010/001117, Granted, Dec. 22, 2015.
- E. Toyserkani, A. Khajepour, and S.F. Corbin “System and method for intelligent closed-loop control of laser cladding [Laser Additive Manufacturing]", Canadian patent # 2504368, October 7, 2011.
- E. Toyserkani, A. Khajepour, and S.F. Corbin “System and method for intelligent closed-loop control of laser cladding [Laser Additive Manufacturing]", Granted US patent # 7043330, May 9, 2006.
In The News