Most recent data available: 2021 Update frequency: Annually Next update: July 2023
Student to faculty ratio of full-time equivalent (FTE) undergraduate and graduate students to full-time, regular faculty members.
U15 Fact Book:
- Underlying faculty source: All U15 - Statistics Canada Full Time Academic Survey (UCASS) with counts as of October 1, of each year
- Underlying student source: Institutional Analysis and Planning (IAP) Student Registration Cube with counts for fiscal year
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Faculty: regular, full-time faculty members
- Students: Undergraduate and graduate students
- Note: Student data for the U15 members may be reported with modifications to the inclusions and exclusions
- faculty in the medical and dental fields
- part-time faculty (adjuncts, overload appointments, less than one year definite term appointments);
- faculty hired directly by the Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo (AFIW)
- students and medical residents registered in the medical and dental fields
- a percentage of students based on a calculation of the percentage of students that the Federated University and Affiliated Colleges are paid to teach;
- The President's fact book excludes the Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo (AFIW) financial data and so the decision was made to also exclude the Affiliated and Federated Institutions of Waterloo (AFIW) taught students for consistency
- The University of Waterloo is the only member of the U15 without a medical school; in order to allow for a more accurate comparison between U15 members, the student to faculty ratio presented was calculated excluding students and medical residents registered in medical and dental programs and excluding faculty members teaching in Faculties of Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, & Dentistry.
- In addition, the previous ratio included only tenure and tenure-stream faculty members whereas the ratio presented here includes all full-time, regular faculty members (i.e. continuing lecturers are now included).
- A standardized FTE calculation was implemented across the U15 institutions.
Note: Previous years counts for select U15 comparators may be used when current year data is unavailable.