Ph.D. (Regional Planning & Resource Development), University of Waterloo, Canada, 1989
M.Env. Des. (Planning), University of Calgary, Canada, 1985
B.A. (Hons.) (Geography), Queen's University, Canada, 1975
519-888-4567 ext. 45922
Location: EV3 3227
- 2011 - Recipient, distinguished teaching award, University of Waterloo
- 2009 - Fellow, Canadian Institute of Planners (FCIP)
- 2006 - Outstanding faculty award, University of Waterloo
- 2002 - Recognition of service award, Canadian Institute of Planners
- 2001 - Member services award, Ontario Professional Planners Institute
- 1994 - Member Services Award, Ontario Professional Planners Institute
- Planning for climate change
- Planning for no-or slow growth
- Urban and regional planning
- Strategic planning
- Plan evaluation
- Local economic development
- Communities left behind? A timely examination of school closure controversies for justice-informed decision-making on the fate of public schools in Ontario.
- Funded by: SSHRC Insight Grant
- Grant Period: 2018-2022
- Planning for adaptation and resilience: Canadian local government experiences and needs.
- Funded by: SSHRC Special Call: Canadian Environmental Issues.
- Grant Period: 2009-2012
- The monitoring and evaluation of urban plans. Global Report on Human Settlements.
- Funded by: UN-Habitat.
- Grant period: 2008-2009
- Eco-Plan China: Eco-planning and environmental management in coastal communities of China.
- Funded by: CIDA Tier 1 UPCD.
- Grant Period: 2001-2006
Contact Mark Seasons for more information on research opportunities for students.
Graduate student supervision
|Number of students currently supervising/co-supervising||Total number of student supervisions/co-supervisions|
[* = student co-authors]
- Seasons, Mark. (2021). Plan evaluation: From theory and practice. Vancouver: UBC Press ISBN 978-0-7748-6626-2
Peer reviewed articles (selected):
Syhlonyk, A. & Seasons, M. (2021). The concept and measurement of community well-being: Lessons for planners. Planning Practice and Research. 36(2), 141-156
Rappolt, R., Seasons, M. and Irwin, B. (2017). Evaluating school closures through a rural lens. Plan Canada. 57(3), 52-57
- *Guyadeen, D. & Seasons, M. (2016). Evaluation theory and practice: Comparing program evaluation and evaluation in planning. Journal of Planning Education and Research. 38(1), 98-110 [20%]
- *Guyadeen, D. & Seasons, M. . Plan evaluation: Challenges and directions for future research. Planning Practice and Research. 31(2), 215-228 [20%]
- Hanna, K., Seasons, M., Dale, A., Filion, P., & Ling, C. . Planning for climate change: The state of current practice in Canada. Plan Canada. 54(2), 28-36 [50%]
- *Lovlin, T. & Seasons, M. . A history of the core curriculum of planning education in Canada. Canadian Planning and Policy – Canadian Journal of Urban Research, 23(1), (Supplement), 93-100
- *Wegener, J., Seasons, M. & Raines, K. . Multi-sectoral perspectives on regional food policy, planning and access to food: A case study of Waterloo Region. Canadian Planning and Policy - Canadian Journal of Urban Research. Supplement. 22(1), [15%]
- *McWilliam, W.J., Brown, R. Eagles, P., & Seasons, M. . Barriers to the effective planning and management of residential encroachment within urban woodland edges: a Southern Ontario, Canada case study. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening. In press
- Seasons, M.L. . The Great Debate: Do We or Don’t We Intervene? Plenary notes. Plan Canada, 53(3), 12-15
- Seasons, M. . Challenges and Rewards: the transition from practice to academia. Plan Canada. 53(2), 28-33
- Seasons, M. . School closures. Ontario Planning Journal. 28(4), 17 Irwin, B. & Seasons, M. . School closure decision-making processes: problems and prospects. Canadian Journal of Urban Research. 21(2), 45-67 [50%]
- *McWilliam, W.J., Eagles, P., Seasons, M., & Brown, R. . Evaluation of planning and management approaches for limiting residential encroachment impacts within
- 2020+, Member, editorial board, Urban Planning
- 2013+, Member, editorial board, Canadian Journal of Urban Research
- 2005-2010, Member and chair, editorial board, Plan Canada
- 2007-2012, Member, editorial board, Journal of Community Development
- 2001+, Member, editorial board, Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation
- PLAN 401/601: Planners and Planning Tribunals
- PLAN 474/674: Community Planning and Climate Change
- PLAN 701: Land Use Planning Fundamentals
- PLAN 706: Contemporary Urban Issues
- PLAN 710: Research Design