Associate Professor, Canada Research Chair
PhD, Geography, Utrecht University, 2010
MSc, Geography, Utrecht University, 2006
BA (Hons) Geography, University of Toronto, 2003
- Gentrification, displacement and neighbourhood change
- Polarisation and inequality
- Waterfront regeneration and deindustrialisation
- Visual methodologies, including repeat photography
- Transportation, mobility and equity
- Lived experience research and collaboration with non-profits
- Long-term changes in cities
- Qualitative methods
- Detroit, Toronto, Rotterdam/Dutch cities, Scottish cities, Hamilton, Waterloo Region
- Mapping tenant displacement through lived experiences
- Funded by: Mitacs Accelerate Grant
- Centring lived experiences in solutions to the homeless crisis
(Principal Investigator – partnership with Social Development Centre Waterloo Region)
- Funded by: University of Waterloo/Region of Waterloo
- Thinking beyond the market: a film about genuinely affordable housing
- Funded by: SSHRC Connection Grant
- ‘Many Faces of Urban and Rural Displacement – Ontario Tenants Organize and Speak Up (lead organization: Social Planning Network of Ontario)
- Funded by: Community Housing Transformation Centre, Community Based Tenant Initiative
- 'Everybody bikes!' a comparative analysis of cycling experiences in the Netherlands and Canada
- Funded by: SSHRC Insight Development Grant
- Overspill gentrification: neighbourhood change in Hamilton, and the impact from Toronto
- Funded by: SSHRC Insight Grant
- Documenting and Experiencing Gentrification: transit, displacement and the lived experiences of gentrification in Kitchener-Waterloo
- Funded by: SSHRC Partnership Development Grant
- Boggs Urban Reader: bringing the ‘urban’ into visionary activist research
- Funded by: SSHRC Partnership Engage Grant
- Residential Property Values and Active Transportation Infrastructure
- Funded by: City of Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and the Region of Waterloo
- Grant Period 2020
Graduate student supervision
|Number of students currently supervising/co-supervising||Total number of student supervisions/co-supervisions|
- Doucet, B and Doucet, M. (2022) Streetcars and the Shifting Geographies of Toronto: a visual analysis of change. Toronto: University of Toronto Press
- Doucet, B, van Melik, R and Filion, P (EDs) (2021) Global Reflections on COVID-19 and Urban Inequalities. Volume 1: Community and Society. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
- Doucet, B, Filion, F and van Melik, R (EDs) (2021) Global Reflections on COVID-19 and Urban Inequalities. Volume 2: Housing and Home. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
- Van Melik, R, Filion, P and Doucet, B (EDs) (2021) Global Reflections on COVID-19 and Urban Inequalities. Volume 3: Public Space and Mobility. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
- Filion, P, Doucet, B and van Melik, R (EDs) (2021) Global Reflections on COVID-19 and Urban Inequalities. Volume: 4 Planning and Policy. Bristol: Bristol University Press.
- Doucet, B (Ed.) (2017) Why Detroit Matters: Decline, renewal and hope in a divided city (Bristol: Policy Press).
Peer reviewed articles
- Mayers, R and Doucet, B. (2023) ‘Beyond Policy Tourism’: The international lived experience of cycling in the Netherlands and Canada, Journal of Urban, Planning and Transport Research.
- Babin, C and Doucet, B (2023) Gentrification and changing visual landscapes: a Google Street View analysis of residential upgrading and class aesthetics in Hamilton’s Lower City, Visual Studies.
- Mayers, R., Rallis, N., Doucet, B and Babin, C (2023) In Light of Transit: Documenting the scales of urban change along the LRT line in Hamilton, Ontario, Canadian Geographies / Géographies canadiennes
- Doucet, B; Diwan, F; Turman, W; Mehta, N; and Petrovic, A. (2022) Mapping displacement through lived experiences: countermapping transit-induced gentrification in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario. Radical Housing Journal. 4(2) 67 – 87.
- Tolfo G and Doucet B (2022) Liveability for whom?: the gentrification of memory in Vancouver’s Northeast False Creek Cities. Volume 123, pp: 1 – 10
- McDougall, E and Doucet, B (2022) Polarized Paths: ‘Selling’ cycling in city and suburb. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie.
- Doucet, B (2021) The ‘hidden’ side of transit-induced gentrification and displacement along Waterloo Region’s LRT corridor, Geoforum.
- Van der Merwe, J and Doucet, B (2021) Housing challenges, mid-sized cities and the COVID-19 pandemic: Critical reflections from Waterloo Region, Canadian Planning and Policy. 2021(01)780 - 90.
- Ellis-Young, M and Doucet, B (2021) From “Big Small Town” to “Small Big City”: Resident Experiences of Gentrification along Waterloo Region’s LRT Corridor, Journal of Planning Education and Research.
- Tolfo G and Doucet B (2020) Gentrification in the media: the eviction of critical class perspectives, Urban Geography.
- Doucet, B (2020) Deconstructing dominant narratives of urban failure and gentrification in a racially-unjust city: the case of Detroit, Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie. 111(4) 634 - 651.
- Doucet B (2019) Repeat photography and urban change: streetcar photography of Toronto since the 1960s. City. 23(4-5) 411 – 438.
- Zebracki, M; Doucet, B and de Brant, T. (2019) Beyond Picturesque Decay: Detroit and the Photographic Sites of Confrontation Between Media and Residents, Space and Culture. 22(4) 489 – 508.
- Doucet B and Koenders D (2018) “At least it’s not a ghetto anymore:” experiencing the ‘false choice’ between gentrification and decay in Rotterdam’s Afrikaanderwijk” Urban Studies. 55(13) 3631 – 3649.
- Doucet B and Smit E (2016) ‘Building an urban 'renaissance:' fragmented services and the production of inequality in Greater Downtown Detroit’, Journal of Housing and the Built Environment. 31(4), 635-657.
- Doucet, B (2014) A process of change and a changing process: introduction to the special issue on contemporary gentrification, Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie. 105(2) 125 – 139.
- Ernst, O and Doucet, B (2014) A window on the (changing) neighbourhood: the role of pubs and cafés in the contested spaces of gentrification, Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie. 105(2) 189 – 205.
- Doucet, B (2013) Variations of the entrepreneurial city: goals, roles visions in Rotterdam’s Kop van Zuid and the Glasgow Harbour megaprojects, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research. 37(6) 2035 – 2051.
- Doucet, B (2013) Four days in Detroit: a Dutch urban geography fieldtrip to the Motor City, Belgeo. 2013, 2.
- Doucet, B and Duignan, E* (2012) Experiencing Dublin’s Docklands: perceptions of employment and amenity changes in the Sheriff Street community, Irish Geography. 45(1) 45 – 65
- Doucet, B; van Kempen, R and van Weesep, J (2011) ‘We’re a rich city with poor people’: municipal strategies of new-build gentrification in Rotterdam and Glasgow, Environment and Planning A. 43, 1458 – 1454.
- Doucet, B; van Kempen, R and van Weesep, J (2011) Resident perceptions of flagship waterfront regeneration: the case of the Kop van Zuid in Rotterdam, Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie.102(2), 125-145.
- Doucet, B (2009) Living through gentrification: subjective experiences of local, non-gentrifying residents in Leith, Edinburgh, Journal of Housing and the Built Environment. 24, 299-315
- Doucet, B (2009) Global flagships, local impacts, Urban Design and Planning. 162(DP3) 101-107.
Professional publications and policy reports
- ., Vandermeer, R., Kelly Y., Reid-Davis, D., Vandervyvere, K., Lafrance and Doucet, B (2023) The Many Faces of Urban and Rural Displacement. [Collaboration between the Social Planning Network of Ontario and the University of Waterloo.
- Doucet, B, and (2023) Thinking Beyond the Market: Innovative Housing Examples Based on People, Not Profit. [Collaboration between the University of Waterloo and the Hamilton Community Foundation
- Mayers, R, Doucet, B, Rallis, N and Babin, C (2023) Experiencing urban change along Hamilton’s LRT corridor: Resident experiences prior to construction. Collaboration between the University of Waterloo and the Hamilton Community Foundation
- , Diwan, F, Petrovic, A, Doucet, B, and August, M (2022) Displacement in Kitchener’s Inner Suburbs: Experiences and perspectives from low-income tenants. Collaboration between the University of Waterloo and Social Development Centre Waterloo Region.
- Doucet, B, and (2022) Moving to Hamilton Atlas: the numbers behind the anecdotes. University of Waterloo.
- Diwan, F, Turman, W, Baird, D, Mehta, N, Petrovic, A and Doucet, B (2021) Mapping Displacement in Kitchener-Waterloo. Social Development Centre Waterloo Region.
- Diwan, F, Mehta, N, Turman, W, Doucet, B and Petrovic, A (2020) Mapping Displacement: Mapping displacement and the loss of affordable housing in Kitchener and Waterloo: Interactive map. Social Development Centre Waterloo Region.
- Life Stories of Displacement (2020) A series of podcasts and interviews that examine lived experiences of poverty along Waterloo Region’s LRT corridor. Produced by the Social Development Centre Waterloo Region
- Doucet, B; Parker, D; McDougall, E; Huang, Y and Feng, D (2020) Cycling Infrastructure and its Relationship to Residential Property Prices. Report commissioned by the City of Kitchener, City of Waterloo, City of Cambridge and Region of Waterloo.
- Doucet, B and Van der Merwe, J (2020) COVID-19 and housing implications in the Region of Waterloo: amplified challenges and proactive planning. Report commissioned by the Region of Waterloo. September 2020
- Doucet, B and Mazumder, R (2020) COVID-19 cyclists: Expanding bike lane network can lead to more inclusive cities, The Conversation. 22 November. My contribution was 75%
- Doucet, B (2020) Cities and their streetcars: my top ten favourite spots, Spacing Toronto. 7 May.
- Doucet, B (2020) Change and continuity in the COVID-19 city, Spacing Toronto. 30 April.
- Doucet, B (2020) Observing change through the window of a GO Train, Spacing Toronto. 8 April.
- Doucet, B (2019) A comparative look at Toronto’s CLRVs, Spacing Toronto. December
- Doucet, B (2018) Airbnb and the struggle for the city: From Amsterdam to Toronto and beyond. Plan Canada. 58(2) 21-27.
Newspaper articles (selected)
- Doucet, B (2023) Service changes may put brakes on Ion’s gold standard of transit, Waterloo Region Record. 16 November.
- Doucet, B (2023) 4 affordable housing strategies that are working in Canada, The Conversation. 16 October
- Doucet, B (2023) Doug Ford reverses Greenbelt plans: Construction would never have provided affordable housing, The Conversation. 21 September.
- Doucet, B and Pin, L (2023) Cities must take immediate action against ‘renovictions’ to address housing crisis, The Conversation. 20 April.
- Doucet, B (2023) New weekend GO transit schedule is a game changer for out-of-towners, Toronto Star. 14 April.
- Doucet, B (2023) Publicly owned land should be used for affordable housing, not sold to private developers, The Conversation. 30 January.
- Doucet, B (2022) How activists saved Toronto’s streetcars 50 years ago this month, Spacing Toronto. 22 November.
- Van Melik, R; Doucet, B & Filion P (2022) Stedelijke ongelijkheid door corona vergroot, Geografie. 31(5) 28 – 30
- Doucet, B (2022) Weekends would be better with direct GO Trains from Kitchener to Toronto, Waterloo Region Record. 10 June.
- Doucet, B (2022) Streetcar photography as a window to Toronto’s changing landscapes, Spacing Toronto. 11 May.
- Doucet, B (2022) Ontario’s ‘affordable housing’ task force report does not address the real problems, The Conversation. 10 February.
- Doucet, B and Marshall, S (2021) End of the line: Why Ontario will regret ripping up this rail corridor, TVO. 20 December
- Doucet, B (2021) Housing is both a human right and a profitable asset, and that’s the problem, The Conversation. 14 December
- Doucet, B (2021) Council’s urban boundary decision poses new challenges, Hamilton Spectator. 2 December.
- Doucet, B (2021) Building a denser, inclusive Hamilton, Hamilton Spectator. 1 December.
- Doucet, B (2021) Housing will be a dominant issue in the 2022 provincial election, Waterloo Region Record. 2 December.
- Doucet, B (2021) Trains before lanes: New Highway 7 and other road projects won’t address climate change, Waterloo Region Record. 17 November.
- Doucet, B (2020) When cycling becomes boring it’s working, Waterloo Region Record. 11 December.
- Doucet, B (2020) Westmount Road bike lanes a path to a more equitable community, Waterloo Region Record. 12 August.
- Doucet, B (2019) The road to better urban spaces is full of pedestrians. Waterloo Region Record. 3 October
- Doucet, B (2019) LRT development boom is squeezing out affordable housing. Waterloo Region Record. 18 June.
- Doucet, B (2019) Ion LRT will reshape development in Waterloo Region for decades to come. Waterloo Region Record. 16 June.
- Doucet, B (2019) I clog Toronto’s highways because there is no train service. The Toronto Star. 22 February
- Doucet, B; Dean, J; Mitchell, C and Toman, S (2018) Winter in spring reinforces need for municipal sidewalk clearing. Waterloo Region Record. 19 April. My contribution was 80%
- Doucet, B (2018) Pedestrian deaths won’t end as long as Toronto panders to cars and drivers. The Globe and Mail. 11 March.
- Doucet, B (2017) We can build better, more people-centred cities. Waterloo Region Record. 9 December
- Doucet, B (2017) National housing strategy fails to go deep enough on root of ills, The Toronto Star. 3 December
- Doucet, B (2017) Once-in-a-lifetime chance to build density with diversity, Waterloo Region Record. 10 October.
- PLAN 100 Evolution of Planning