Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a government program that provides loans and bursaries to Ontario resident students to help finance their education.

  • Application forms are available on the OSAP website in early May.
  • University of Waterloo's student awards & financial aid website explains:
    • what is OSAP?
    • how to apply for OSAP
    • application deadlines
    • and other important information

Please note: If you have been accepted to Social Development Studies, be sure to select Honours Arts as your program of study on the OSAP form.

Information about other loan programs is available on the student awards & financial aid website.

How do I apply for OSAP?

The OSAP year is the same as your academic year; it begins in the fall term and proceeds to the following spring term. You will need to apply for OSAP each academic year. The OSAP application is generally available in May of each year for the upcoming academic year.

Apply online

The OSAP application is available on the OSAP website

To apply online you will need an OSAP account.  If you already have an OSAP account and have forgotten your Ontario Access Number (OAN) or password please visit the financial aid office of any Ontario college or university for assistance.  Be sure to have your government issued photo identification and your SIN card when inquiring about your OSAP account.

When you have completed your application mail, drop off or upload any required supporting documents to the Student Awards & Financial Aid office at the University of Waterloo.

You will also be required to print, read and sign the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) and take it to a designated Canada Post outlet. They will mail the document to the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) on your behalf. Please do not send this form to the Student Awards & Financial Aid office.

Apply using a paper application

There are some situations where you will need to use a paper application to apply for OSAP.  The paper application is available for printing on the OSAP website

Please submit your completed paper application, with all required signatures and any other required supporting documentation to the UWaterloo Student Awards & Financial Aid Office.

How to add a term to an existing OSAP assessment

Complete the NEW Extension Form if you have already applied for OSAP for the current academic year and would like to update your existing assessment due to one of the following reasons:

  1. You are returning for an additional academic term during the same academic year
  2. You are on co-op work term and require additional funding for living costs
  3. You have completed an undergraduate degree and are returning as graduate student

When will I receive my OSAP funding?

The Student Awards & Financial Aid office uses an electronic process to confirm your enrolment directly to the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.  We start this process at the beginning of each term and the process is ongoing throughout each term.

What can I do to make sure I get my funding at the start of the term?

  1. Hand in (or upload) all of your required documentation for your OSAP application to our office for processing. Please view our recommended deadlines to ensure you hand in any required documentation on time. You can check the status of your application by logging into your OSAP account.
  2. Complete a Promissory Note by the posted deadline. This note lets Student Accounts know that you will be receiving OSAP and using those funds to pay for some or all of your outstanding student fees. The amount of funding you’re expected to receive from OSAP will be applied to your Quest account to assist you with completing your Promissory Note.
  3. Check that your course load and/or program on Quest matchthe course load and program on your OSAP application. Use the Application Update form if you need to change this information on your OSAP application. Submit this form to our office for processing.