COVID-19 Internship Update
July 7, 2020
GBDA students will be provided 3 options to complete their mandatory internship milestone for S2020, these options expire on Monday, August 10th at 11:59 PM.
All students who have not received explicit approval from WaterlooWorks or email@example.com will not graduate on time. Students must achieve one of the options listed below to have their mandatory internship credit approved:
- Regular term employment (i.e., a job/role that fits the regular non-COVID-19 criteria).
- Please note that this is the preferred and recommended option.
- Proceed as normal via WaterlooWorks
- Internship credit (GBDA 312) will be granted.
- Part-time employment in any sector.
- Unable to secure employment.
3.A Will be approved by Stratford with demonstration and reasonable evidence the student participated in a job search both within WaterlooWorks and independently.
- Must apply to a cumulative minimum of 25 jobs in WaterlooWorks on the coop job board and a minimum of 2 jobs externally.
3.B Students who previously secured employment through WaterlooWorks and had employment cancelled due to COVID-19 and do not meet the minimum WaterlooWorks application requirement.
- Must apply to a minimum of 2 external job applications.
To be considered for option 3A or 3B approval please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Evidence of an external job search must be included or attached to the email
- Internship credit (GBDA 312) will be waived.
Waived internship credits will be identified on your transcript, for record-keeping purposes. You will receive a response to your inquiry within a maximum of 5 business days. Updated information for the GBDA Internship milestone related to COVID-19 can be found on our website. Any further questions should be directed to email@example.com.
GBDA internships are a mandatory graduation milestone, taking place in the spring term following the completion of a student's 3rd year of academic studies. Over the course of 16 weeks (between May 1st and August 31), students will work a 35 to 40 hour week at an approved organization earning an average hourly wage of $20/hr.
*A completed internship milestone on a GBDA student’s academic record will indicate successful completion of this requirement.
Process and Procedure for Students
Cooperative Education and Career Action facilitates the GBDA internship Recruitment Cycle for GBDA students. GBDA students will always participate in the January Co-op Recruitment Cycle.
GBDA students will find all internship possibilities in WaterlooWorks and are invited to apply to ALL posted co-operative education jobs as well as jobs posted specifically for GBDA students.
Below you will find a list of useful links to help guide you through this process. Specifically,WaterlooWorks is the system you will use to:
- Apply to internships
- Get notifications of scheduled interviews
- Get notifications of rankings
- Get notifications of job offers
*GBDA students will abide by the Co-operative Code of Conduct and CECA’s terms and conditions.
The Student Experience
The Employer Experience
Process and Procedure for Employers
The GBDA Summer Internship Recruitment Process is facilitated by Co-operative Education, WaterlooWorks. GBDA Employers use WaterlooWorks to hire GBDA summer interns in the same way co-op students are hired.