The weCONNECTu mentoring program aims to provide academic and social support for new students in Applied Health Sciences (AHS) during their transition to university through workshops, peer mentoring, and academic and community-based programming.
Our peer mentors
Peer mentors in weCONNECTu are upper-year student volunteers who are passionate about promoting a well rounded, positive, and healthy journey for their fellow students. Peer mentors become a resource for personal and academic support while also referring to services on campus to ensure students have the tools they need for a positive university experience.
Why have a peer mentor?
- get your questions answered quickly by a current student
- get tips on studying, time management and more
- learn from a current student who successfully navigated the transition to university
- learn the ins and outs of university life
- meet more students within Applied Health Sciences
How do I connect with a peer mentor?
To be matched with a mentor, send an email with your name and program to email@example.com.
- CHEM120 and PHYS111 Tutoring Sessions
- Clarity in Scientific Writing Workshop
- Test Preparation and Test Anxiety Workshop
- Time Management Workshop
- Note Taking Workshop
- End of term celebration
* These examples are based on the 2015-2016 weCONNECTu offerings.
What students are saying about the mentorship program
"Over the past two years I have definitely learned the importance of studying early and staying on top of work. AHS Mentorship is great for answering questions along the way so studying for midterms and exams isn't as stressful. I wish I had been involved in such programs when I was in first year so I could have worked on developing such study skills earlier!"
"The review sessions force you to go over your notes early, allowing you to gain a much greater understanding of the material. I really wish I had taken advantage of these review sessions when I was in first year!"