Websites in Arts
With a faculty as large and broad as Arts, it's no surprise we have a large website portfolio including department and school websites, research websites, and the Faculty of Arts website.
Most sites live in the WCMS - the Waterloo Content Management System - which is supported by IST and University Relations. Individual faculty and researcher websites can be built on another platform called Scholar (a self-serve website platform for researchers to create a basic website).
Every Waterloo website has a site lead who oversees the technical aspects of the website and acts as a liaison for IST. For instance, they request new websites and migrations for their area.
Site leads in Arts include:
- Faculty of Arts, department and research sites (other than site listed below): Elizabeth Rogers and Wendy Philpott (back up)
- Department of Psychology: Bill Eickmeier
- School of Accounting and Finance: Patty Mah and Eric Mah
- Stratford School: Greg McIntyre
- Student societies and Arts Computing-related pages: Sean Speers
While each Arts department is responsible for maintaining their own website, there is plenty of support available from three key areas: Arts Communications, Arts Computing Office, and Web Resources. Here is a breakdown of support offered.
Arts Communications support
Contact: Elizabeth Rogers, Communications Officer and primary point of contact regarding Arts websites.
- New website requests
- Quality assurance (QA) review and best-practices, including effective writing for the web, menu organization, page layout, search engine optimization and web accessibility
- Image/photo sourcing and editing
- Uploading and managing videos on Arts YouTube channel
- Managing permissions on websites
- Training recommendations and how to register
Arts Computing Office support
Contact: Arts Computing Helpdesk - co-op student team, email@example.com Tel. ext. 44542
- Technical or functionality questions, such as website redirects, web forms, newsletter websites, etc.
- Student society website support
- Hosting for non-WCMS websites (where the current WCMS doesn't meet needs)
IST Client Services
- WCMS training - available online through Learn - and other digital workplace Courses
- WCMS for content maintainers (required to work on WCMS 2 sites) or WCMS 3 Fundatmentals (required for working on WCMS 3 websites.
- WCMS How-to documents
- WCMS drop-in labs
- Instructional videos and transcripts
- Web Accessibility
- Web Guidelines and Policies