We need motivated people who can help develop the next generation of algorithmic trading systems. We're always on the lookout for graduates with a solid grounding in computer science and finance.
Students in Computing and Financial Management (CFM) develop strong mathematical reasoning and creative problem solving skills while simultaneously amassing expertise in computer science and finance. In particular, CFM students are proficient in:
Computer Science: solid understanding of computer systems, applications, and mathematical foundations of computer science including:
- Programming - using high and low-level languages; using a number of programming paradigms including procedural, functional, and object-oriented programming
- Data structures and algorithm design and analysis
- Software engineering principles - large-scale program design and software architecture; using rigorous testing and debugging techniques, tools and methodologies
- Computer systems design and implementation - programming with processes, threads, context switching, system calls, scheduling, and interprocess communication; experience making appropriate implementation choices in software development based on the impact of an operating system, memory management, virtual memory, and file system
Finance: strong knowledge of and experience with financial analysis, decision making, planning and monitoring, and problem solving in finance and business including:
- Functional competencies - analysis of financial performance for a variety of users; investing and financing activities and policies; implementation and monitoring of financial risk management systems
- Understanding business - evaluation of investing and financing decisions; exploration of global financial systems, capital markets, the legal and regulatory framework; appreciation of micro- and macroeconomic forces in Canada
- Business communications
CFM students alternate between terms of school and terms of work and are available year-round. Work terms are usually four months long, but CFM students can also accept eight month opportunities.
The Computing & Financial Management students we’ve hired from University of Waterloo provide a fantastic fit, a great blend of technical, analytical & business skills – ideal for driving the transformation to a Mobile-First, Cloud-First world at Microsoft Canada.
CFM students are consistently recognized for being well-rounded, professional, and technically proficient. Here's an example of what Siva, Data Engineering Manager at Facebook had to say about Linda:
"During her short term here, she was able to participate in multiple projects and drive all of them to completion. When needed, she was able to shift gears and work at a high pace and long hours to deliver in high pressure situations. The thing that really impressed me was her ability to manage her commitments - she was self driven and self motivated. Her primary deliverable was to build analytics for our ticketing system and this project has been a huge hit with our internal users. In addition to the above project, Linda delivered on numerous other projects. She brings a high level of energy to our team and everyone loved working with her."
-Siva, Data Engineering Manager, Facebook (California)
Read more about Linda's compliments on her professional website.
Thank-you, to the employers who have hired CFM students! You truly enrich the student experience, as they do your organizations. For those who have yet to experience the benefit of hiring a CFM student and are interested in learning more about what they have to offer, please connect with the Program Manager.