At the only dedicated Faculty of Mathematics in North America, you'll have the opportunity to focus your studies, with unique master and doctoral programs offered by each of our departments and the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science, and several interdisciplinary and course-based professional master's programs. Need more reasons to join Math at Waterloo? Take a look at our top reasons below!
Top reasons to choose Math at Waterloo
- Your program is here – With over 1,100 graduate students and 290 professors, we have the breadth and depth of knowledge, experience and expertise to excel in both academic pursuits and the application of our skills to real-world problems.
- Work with the best – 18 of our professors are recognized with research chairs in the mathematical and computing sciences. NSERC funding awarded to Waterloo Mathematics faculty researchers is significantly above the national average.
- You keep what you develop – Unlike at many universities, Waterloo researchers (including graduate students) own the rights to their intellectual property. Learn more about Intellectual Property (IP) Rights Policy #73 on the Research website.
- Interdisciplinarity is key – Our people look for connections between subjects, departments and schools, and businesses. You’ll be prepared for careers in academia, government, and industry with applications from finance to medicine or earth sciences, from data mining to the computer industry.
- Study with support – The Waterloo Graduate Student Association (GSA) provides services for the campus graduate student community including organizing social events, health care, legal and tax aid. Within the Faculty of Mathematics, the Math GSA provides a forum for all Math graduate students and promotes an interdisciplinary culture of social and intellectual interaction among students within the Faculty.
- You belong here – We are committed to creating a safe, inclusive community for students with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and interests. There are various services available to graduate students such as AccessAbility Services, Campus Wellness, Glow Centre for Sexual and Gender Diversity, Waterloo Indigenous Student Centre, and many more. Explore the virtual Graduate Student Services Fair.
» Did you know?
The University's office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Affairs offers a central hub of professional development resources for graduate students called GRADventure. GRADventure is a central hub of professional development resources designed for grad students interested in pursuing careers within and outside of academia. In addition to resources, they also provide special event listings and workshops.