Congratulations to today's graduates!
Notes from the University of Waterloo media release and Daily Bulletin:
- 499 students from the Faculty of Mathematics, including Software Engineering and Computing & Financial Management, will receive their degrees.
- Professor Leslie Valiant, the T. Jefferson Coolidge Professor of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics in the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, receives an honorary Doctor of Mathematics degree. He made major advances in complexity theory and in artificial intelligence, and is a recipient of computer science’s most prestigious prize, the Turing Award.
- Computer Science graduate Carol Fung receives the Alumni Gold Medal for outstanding academic performance in a doctoral program. Her research focuses on distributed computer security, in particular on the design and management of collaborative intrusion detection networks.
- Andrew Good is the recipient of the K.D. Fryer Gold Medal for high academic standing in mathematics together with good student citizenship.
- Applied Mathematics graduate Victor Veitch will be recognized for Outstanding Achievement in Graduate Studies at the Master's level.