Ph.D. Urban and Regional Sciences, Texas A & M University, United States, 2008
M.A. Community and Regional Planning, University of British Columbia, Canada, 2002
B.Arch. Architecture, Tongji University, China, 1996
519-888-4567 ext. 48426
Location: EV3 3253
Office Hours: Thursday 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
- Comparative urban planning and policy
- Land use planning and urban form
- Land use reform and policy in China
- Heritage conservation and planning in China
Contact Joe Qian for more information on research opportunities.
- Territorial governance, market integration and indigenous citizens in China's state-led eco-tourism (Principal Investigator, 2022-2024).
- Funded by: Insight Development Grants, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; Canada-China Scholars’ Exchange Program (Global Affairs Canada and the Chinese Ministry of Education).
- The informality of housing finance in China (Principal Investigator, 2019-2021).
- Funded by: Insight Development Grants, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- Becoming urban citizens: transformation and adaptation of displaced villagers in China's concentrated resettlement communities (Principal Investigator, 2018-2021).
- Funded by: Insight Grants, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; Canada-China Scholars' Exchange Program (Global Affairs Canada and the Chinese Ministry of Education).
- Impact of land-use changes on water consumption pattern in urban areas (Co-investigator, 2018-2020).
- Funded by: Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute.
- Socio-spatial transformation in urban China during the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976): A case study of Hangzhou (Principal Investigator, 2012-2014).
- Funded by: Insight Development Grants, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- New city development in post-reform China: state, society and space (Principal Investigator, 2011-2014).
- Funded by: Standard Research Grants, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
Graduate student supervision
|Number of students currently supervising/co-supervising||Total number of student supervisions/co-supervisions|
- Qian, Z. 2022. Property Rights and Urban Transformation in China. Cheltenham and Northampton: Edward Elgar Publishing. https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/usd/property-rights-and-urban-transformation-in-china-9781802206609.html
- Yang, C. and Qian, Z. 2023. Achieving inclusive rural-to-urban resettlement for landless villagers through claiming the right to resettlement: the case of Hangzhou, China, Journal of Urban Affairs, forthcoming.
- Yang, C. and Qian, Z. 2023. ‘Art district without artists’: urban redevelopment through industrial heritage renovation and the gentrification of industrial neighborhoods in China – the case of Dahua 1935. Urban Geography, OnlineFirst:10.1080/02723638.2023.2246846
- Qian, Z. 2023. Travel Behavior of Residents in Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Neighborhoods: A Study of Two Neighborhoods in Shenzhen, China, in Debnath Mookherjee, George M. Pomeroy, Le Thi Thu Huong (eds.) Urban Transformational Landscapes in the City-Hinterlands of Asia, Singapore: Springer, pp.41-54.
- Yang, C. and Qian, Z. 2023. China’s integrated urban-rural development: a development mode outside the planetary urbanization paradigm? In Zhang, L.; Wamuchiru, E.; and Ngomsi, C. A. M. (eds.) The City in an Era of Cascading Risks: New Insights from the Ground, Springer, pp.147-168.
- Qian, Z. 2023. Location Choices of Micro Creative Enterprises in China: Evidence from Two Creative Clusters in Shanghai. In Zhang, L.; Wamuchiru, E.; and Ngomsi, C. A. M. (eds.) The City in an Era of Cascading Risks: New Insights from the Ground, Springer, pp.186-202.
- Biswas, A., Singh, V., and Qian, Z. 2023 Analysing land use transformation and water security: evidence from the Global North and the Global South. In Chatterjee, U., Bandyopadhyay, N., Setiawati M. D., and Sarkar, S. (eds.) Urban Commons, Future Smart Cities and Sustainability, Cham, Switzerland: Springer. pp. 465-483.
- Su, X. and Qian, Z. 2023. Interpreting China’s overbuilding through a behavioral perspective: the role of developers’ excessive optimism, Journal of Urban Affairs, OnlineFirst: 10.1080/07352166.2022.2157729.
- Yang, C., Qian, Z. and Li, H. 2023. Measuring the accessibility deprivation of concentrated resettlement communities in China: an integrated approach of space syntax and multi-criteria decision analysis, Applied Geography, 150, 102839.
- Qian, Z. 2023. Heritage Conservation as a Territorialized Urban Strategy: Conservative Reuse of Socialist Industrial Heritage in China, International Journal of Heritage Studies, 1-2, 63-80.
- Liu, Y.; Qian, Z.; Kong, H.; Wu, R.; Zheng, P.; and Qin, W. 2023. Impacts of Eco-Poverty Alleviation Policies on Farmer Livelihood Changes and Response Mechanisms in a Karst Area of China from a Sustainable Perspective. Sustainability, 15, 2618.
- Yang, C. and Qian, Z. 2023. Street network or functional attractors? Capturing pedestrian movement patterns and urban form with the integration of space syntax and MCDA, Urban Design International, 28(1), 3-18.
- Yang, C. and Qian, Z. 2022. Urbanization through resettlement and the production of space in Hangzhou's concentrated resettlement communities, Cities, 129, 103846.
- Yang, C. and Qian, Z. 2022. The complexity of property rights embedded in the rural-to-urban resettlement of China: a case of Hangzhou, Land Use Policy, 122, 106394.
- Liu, Y. Wang, M. Qian, Z. Hou, B. Chen, X. Lei, Q. He, L. and Zhao, L. 2022. Effect of Farmland Transfer on Poverty Reduction under Different Targeted Poverty Alleviation Patterns Based on PSM-DID Model in Karst Area of China, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Article ID 9143080.
- Qian, Z. 2022. Territorial Governance, Market Integration and Indigenous Citizens in China’s State-led Eco-tourism: Developing the Xixi National Wetland Park, Journal of China Tourism Research, 18 (5): 991-1010.
- Qian, Z. 2021. World Heritage Site Inscription and Waterfront Heritage Conservation: Evidence from the Grand Canal Historic Districts in Hangzhou, China. Journal of Heritage Tourism. 16(6): 684-704. 2022 Journal of Heritage Tourism Dallen Timothy Best Paper Award Winner. https://www.tandfonline.com/journals/rjht20/collections/best-paper-dallen-timothy-prize
- Ye, S. and Qian, Z. 2021. The Economic Network Resilience of the Guanzhong Plain City Cluster, China: A network analysis from the evolutionary perspective. Growth and Change, 52, 2391–2411.
- Yang, C. and Qian, Z. 2021. ‘Resettlement with Chinese characteristics’: the distinctive political-economic context, (in)voluntary urbanites, and three types of mismatch, International Journal of Urban Sustainable Development. 13 (3): 496-515.
- Qian, Z. 2021. From upstart city to 'ghost' city: informal housing finance in Ordos, China. Town Planning Review, 92(6): 697-721.
Liu, Y. and Qian, Z. 2020, Land-use Behavior of Farming Households and Rural Land Degradation in a Karst Area of China, in Gao, J., Baikady, R., Govindappa, L., Cheng, S.-L. (Eds.) Social Welfare in India and China: A Comparative Perspective, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 73-91.
Su, X. and Qian, Z. 2020 State Intervention in Land Supply and Its Impact on Real Estate Investment in China: Evidence from Prefecture-Level Cities, Sustainability 12(3), 1019
Su, X., and Qian, Z. 2020. Neoliberal planning, master plan adjustment and overbuilding in China: The case of Ordos City. Cities, 105, 102748.
Su, X., and Qian, Z. 2020, Neoliberal Financial Governance and its Transformation under Real Estate Boom and Bust: The Case of Ordos City, China, Land Use Policy, 104728.
Zhang, S. and Qian, Z. 2020, Community governance in China’s land expropriation-induced resettlement neighborhoods: the case of Shanghai, in Deden Rukemana (ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Planning Megacities in the Global South, Routledge, pp. 367-381.
- Zhang S and Qian, Z. 2019. Villagers’ Acculturation in China’s Land Expropriation-induced Resettlement Neighborhood: A Shanghai Case, International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 74: 174-188.
- Qian, Z. 2019. Displaced Villagers’ Adaptation in Concentrated Resettlement Community: A Case Study of Nanjing, China. Land Use Policy. 88: 104097
- Qian, Z. 2018. Shanghai’s Socialist Suburbanization, 1953-1962. Journal of Planning History. 17 (3): 226-247.
- Zhong, T., Qian, Z., Huang, X., Zhao, Z., Zhao, Y., Zhou, Y., 2018. Impact of the Top-down Quota-oriented Farmland Preservation Planning on the Change of Urban Land-use Intensity in China, Habitat International, 77: 71-79.
- Su, X. and Qian, Z. 2018. The Impact of Housing Market Fluctuation and Housing Supply on the Housing Opportunities of the Moderate- and Low-income Households in 21st Century Urban China: a Case Study of Ordos City. The China Review. 18 (1): 107-135.
- Zhang, S. and Qian, Z. 2017. The Impacts of High-speed Rail on Shanghai’s Suburban Communities: Social Sustainability and Environmental Justice. In Caprotti, F. and Yu, L. (eds.) Sustainable Cities in Asia, pp.99-111. London: Routledge
- Qian, Z. and Xue, J. 2017. Small Town Urbanization in Western China: Villager Resettlement and Integration in Xi’an. Land Use Policy. 68: 152-159.
- Qian, Z. and Li, H. 2017. Urban Morphology and Local Citizens in China’s Historic Neighborhoods: A Case Study of the Stele Forest Neighborhood in Xi’an. Cities. 71: 97-109.
- Qian, Z. 2017. Resettlement and Adaptation in China’s Small Town Urbanization: Evidence from the Villagers’ Perspective. Habitat International. 67: 33-43.
- Li, H. and Qian, Z. 2017. Archaeological Heritage Tourism in China: the Case of the Daming Palace from the Tourists' Perspective. Journal of Heritage Tourism, 12 (4): 380-393.
- Qian, Z. 2016. Political Campaigns and Urban Transformation in Maoist China, 1949-1976. International Development Planning Review, 38 (2): 113-133.
- Qian, Z. and Bright, E. M. 2015. Houston: a Liveable City without Zoning? In F. Wagner and R. Mahayni (eds.) Transforming Distressed Global Communities: Making Inclusive, Safe, Resilient, and Sustainable Cities, pp. 101-116. Surrey: Ashgate.
- Qian, Z. 2015. City Profile: Hangzhou. Cities, 48: 42-54.
- Qian, Z. 2015. From the First Five-Year Plan to the Cultural Revolution: Pre-reform Urban Transformation of Hangzhou, China. Planning Perspectives, 30 (4): 571-595.
Qian, Z. 2015. Land Acquisition Compensation in Post-reform China: Evolution, Structure and Challenges in Hangzhou. Land Use Policy, 46: 250-257.
Pavlic, D. and Qian, Z. 2014.Declining Inner Suburbs? A Longitudinal-Spatial Analysis of Large Metropolitan Regions in Canada. Urban Geography, 35 (3): 378-401.
Qian, Z. 2014. China’s Pre-reform Urban Transformation: the Case of Hangzhou during the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976). International Development Planning Review, 36 (2): 181-203.
- PLAN 261: Urban and Metropolitan Planning and Development
- PLAN/GEOG 349: Urban form and internal spatial structure
- PLAN 415/685 Urban Planning and Development in Transitional China
- PLAN/GEOG 450: Changing form and structure of metropolitan Canada
- PLAN 702: Critical assessment of theories, methods and practices of planning
- PLAN 706: Contemporary Issues in Planning