The Faculty of Science encourages entrepreneurship at all levels through UWaterloo’s progressive intellectual property policy. Many of our faculty have generated patents and created their own spin-offs bringing game-changing science to the marketplace.
- Melanie Campbell holds multiple patents for a new diagnostic tool for Alzheimer’s disease. This simple amyloid beta imaging scan of the retina would be the first test available for living patients.
- Trevor Charles: Metagenom Bio Inc. provides genetic sequencing and analysis of microbial communities for industry.
- Edward Sudicky: Aquanty Inc. provides cutting-edge hydrogeological computer modelling services.
- Owen Ward
- Biorem Technologies Inc. designs, manufactures and distributes high-efficiency air emissions control systems that eliminate odours and hazardous air pollutants.
- Lystek Inc. provides cost efficient solutions to help organizations like wastewater treatment plants reduce wastes, costs, odours and greenhouse gas emissions from biosolids.