United States Visitor Visa

If you are going to visit the United States of America during your stay in Canada, you may require a United States (U.S.) visitor visa depending on your country of citizenship. The U.S. has many different categories of U.S. visas. To visit the U.S., there is the B1 or B2 visa or a combination of both.

Co-operative Education and Career Action has information about working in the U.S.

Visitors to the U.S. from Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries do not need a U.S. visitor visa, however a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is required. As of April 1, 2016, if you are from a VWP country, you must also have an e-Passport to enter the U.S. unless you have a valid non-immigrant visa. 

If you hold a passport issued by People's Republic of China, and hold a valid B1, B2, or B1/B2 U.S. visitor visa, you must also have a valid enrolment in the Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) to travel to the United States.

For more information about travelling to the U.S., see U.S. Customs and Border Protection (PDF).