Office: EIT 3003
CV: Roy Brouwer
MSc Agricultural Economics
(Wageningen Agricultural University, NL)
PhD Environmental Economics
(University of East Anglia, UK)
I have a broad interest in environmental economics to support sustainable development and natural resource management in developed and developing countries. My main research interests are in water resource economics, in particular water resource valuation, hydro-economic modelling and water policy instruments. In the department of Economics I teach the course Water Resource Economics.
Before joining the department of Economics at the University of Waterloo, I was head of the department Environmental Economics at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (2009-2015). I worked 5 years outside academic research as chief economist in the Dutch Water Ministry (2000-2004) where I was responsible for the economic underpinning of (inter)national water policy in areas such as climate change and flood risks, water quality, urban water management and river restoration. Since 1 January 2016 I’m the Executive Director of the Water Institute at the University of Waterloo. I’m furthermore a visiting professor at the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology in Zürich (www.eawag.ch), member of the External Advisory Board of the Vienna Technical University Doctoral Programme on Water Resource Systems (www. waterresources.at) and Editor-in-Chief of the Elsevier journal Water Resources and Economics (www.journals.elsevier.com/water-resources-and-economics).
- Brouwer, R. and Tarfasa, S. (2020). Testing hypothetical bias in a framed field experiment. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics, https://doi.org/10.1111/cjag.12224.
- Logar, I., Brouwer, R. and Campbell, D. (2020). Does attribute order influence attribute information processing in discrete choice experiments? Resource and Energy Economics, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reseneeco.2020.101164.
- Schaafsma, M. and Brouwer, R. (2020). Substitution effects in spatially explicit discrete choice experiments. Environmental and Resource Economics, 75(2): 323-349.
- Glatt, M., Brouwer, R., Logar, I. (2019). Combining risk attitudes in a lottery game and flood risk protection decisions in a discrete choice experiment. Environmental and Resource Economics, 74(4): 1533-1562.
- Brouwer, R. and Neverre, N. (2019). A global meta-analysis of groundwater quality valuation studies. European Review of Agricultural Economics, https://doi.org/10.1093/erae/jby043
- Ovando P. and Brouwer, R. (2019). A review of economic approaches modeling the complex interactions between forest management and watershed services. Journal of Forest Policy and Economics, 100: 164-176.
- Logar, I. and Brouwer, R. (2018). Testing framing and substitution effects in unlabeled and labeled discrete choice experiments. Land Economics, 94(2): 302-322.
- Tarfasa, S. and Brouwer, R. (2018). Public preferences for improved urban waste management: a choice experiment. Environment and Development Economics, 23(2): 184-197.
- Kahsay, T., Kuik, O., Brouwer, R., van der Zaag, P. (2017). The economy-wide impacts of climate change and irrigation development in the Nile basin: A computable General Equilibrium approach. Climate Change Economics, 8(1): 1750004-1-30.
- Johnston, R., Boyle, K.J., Adamowicz, W., Bennett, J., Brouwer, R., Cameron, T.A., Hanemann, W.M., Hanley, N., Ryan, M., Scarpa, R., Tourangeau, R. and Vossler, C.A. (2017). Contemporary guidance for stated preference studies. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 4(2): 319-405.
- Ansink, E., Tesfaye, A., Bouma, J., Brouwer, R. (2017). Cooperation in watershed management: A field experiment on location, trust, and enforcement. Resource and Energy Economics, 50: 91-104.
- Brouwer, R., Logar, I. and Sheremet, O. (2017). Choice consistency and preference stability in test-retests of discrete choice experiment and open-ended willingness to pay elicitation formats. Environmental and Resource Economics, 68(3): 729-751.
- Koetse, M. and Brouwer, R. (2016). Reference dependence effects on WTA and WTP value functions and their disparity. Environmental and Resource Economics, 65(4): 723-745.
- Dekker, T., Hess, S. Brouwer, R., Hofkes, M. (2016). Decision uncertainty in multi-attribute stated preference studies. Resource and Energy Economics, 43: 57-73.
- Ndambiri, H., Brouwer, R., Mungatana, E. (2016). Comparing welfare estimates across stated preference and uncertainty elicitation formats for air quality improvements in Nairobi, Kenya. Environment and Development Economics, 21(5): 649-668.
- Mattmann, M., Logar, I. and Brouwer, R. (2016). Hydropower externalities: a meta-analysis. Energy Economics, 57: 66-77.
- Tesfaye, A. and Brouwer, R. (2016). Exploring the scope for transboundary collaboration in the Blue Nile river basin: assessing downstream willingness to pay for upstream land use change to improve irrigation water supply. Environment and Development Economics, 21(2): 180-204.
- Levin-Koopman, J., Kuik, O., Tol, R.S.J., Brouwer, R. (2015). Water scarcity from climate change and adaptation response in an international river basin context. Climate Change Economics, 6(1): doi: 10.1142/S2010007815500049.
- Brouwer et al. (2015). Improving value transfer through socio-economic adjustments in a multi-country choice experiment of water conservation alternatives. Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 59(3): 458-478.
- Brouwer, R., Lienhoop, N. and Oosterhuis, F. (2015). Incentivizing afforestation agreements: Institutional-economic conditions and motivational drivers. Journal of Forest Economics, 21(4): 205-222.
- Kahsay, T., Kuik, O., Brouwer, R., van der Zaag, P. (2015). Estimation of the transboundary economic impacts of the Grand Ethiopia Renaissance Dam: A computable general equilibrium analysis. Water Resources and Economics, 10: 14-30.
- Dekker, T., Koster, P., Brouwer, R. (2014). Changing with the tide: semi-parametric estimation of preference dynamics. Land Economics, 90(4): 717-745.
- Phan, T.D., Brouwer, R. and Davidson, M. (2014). The economic costs of avoided deforestation in the developing world: A meta-analysis. Journal of Forest Economics, 20(1): 1-16.
- Schaafsma, M., Brouwer, R., Liekens, I. and Denocker, L. (2014). Temporal stability of preferences and willingness to pay for natural areas in choice experiments: A test-retest. Resource and Energy Economics, 38:243-260.
- van der Kroon, B., Brouwer, R. and van Beukering, P. (2014). The impact of the household decision environment on fuel choice behavior, Energy Economics, 44; 236–247.
- Brouwer, R. et al. (2014). Modeling demand for catastrophic flood risk insurance in coastal zones in Vietnam using choice experiments. Environment and Development Economics, 19: 228-249.