All successful candidates are automatically considered for financial assistance in the form of scholarships and a teaching/research assistantship. You do not need to apply separately for these awards. Awards are made based on academic merit and the availability of funds.
In 2018-2019, the average financial support package is $15,000 per year for our MA students and $25,000 per year for our PhD students.
- The 2018/2019 TA rate is $4,726 per term.
- Some students may be awarded a scholarship ranging from $3,000 to $10,000 per year. Eligibility for such scholarships requires a minimum overall average of 80% (A- or first class) in the last two years of full time undergraduate study.
International graduate student award
- MA - valued at $2,130 per term to a maximum of six terms
The IMSA program is under review. Availability of the program may impact students offered admission for spring 2019 and beyond. Further details will be posted once available.
- PhD - valued at $4,260 per term to a maximum of 12 terms
- Awarded automatically each term to students paying international graduate student fees
President's graduate scholarship
- Valued at $7,500.
- Awarded to all Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) award holders as a top up to the OGS and SSHRC award
Ken Stollery graduate memorial award
- Valued at $1,000
- Awarded annually (when funds permit) to an MA or PhD economics student who demonstrates academic excellence and financial need
- Valued at $1500
- Awarded to a graduate economics student based on academic achievement and financial need
Other sources of funding
Students are encouraged to apply for other funding they may be eligible for.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) scholarships
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) scholarships
- Doctoral thesis completion award
- Graduate studies office scholarship database
Graduate student expenses at Waterloo