Office: E7, Rm. 2414
MA, Waterloo; Recipient of the "Distinguished Teacher Award"
Areas of specialization: Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Forecasting
- Market analyses for potential innovations
- Industry forecasts for new products and technologies
- Role of psychological factors, such as confidence/courage
- Macro forecasts - Canada and the global economy
- With respect to economic development
- With respect to innovation
- determinants of entrepreneurship
In elementary school, Larry already knew he wanted to teach. By high school, he found himself fascinated with innovation, entrepreneurship and markets. Economics seemed to him to be the best choice to combine his interests.
A student at the universities of Western Ontario and Guelph, Larry holds his BA and MA from the University of Waterloo, and an honorary degree from Conestoga College. Specializing in the economics of innovation and forecasting, he has worked with governments, financial institutions, professional associations and companies developing new markets or new products.
An adjunct associate professor, Larry is the Founding Director of the Problem Lab, one of the few in the world devoted solely to finding and understanding important problems. He has happily taught ten percent of Waterloo’s alumni, and is a recipient of the University’s Distinguished Teacher Award.
- Adapting for Prosperity: Economic Impact of Conestoga College 
- How to Have a Great Career: Find Your Passion, Achieve Your Goals and Love What You Do [HarperCollins, 2017]
- No Fears, No Excuse: What You Need to Do to Have a Great Career [HMH and Random House, 2016]
- Entrepreneurship Infrastructure Project Report 
Forecasting and analysis provided to
- Ontario Sewer and Water Main Construction Association 
- Canadian Construction Association 
- Association of Managers of College and University Student Centres 
- Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities [2009,2010]
- Canadian Association of Career Educators and Employers 
- Conestoga Heavy Construction Association 
- Grand Erie Training and Adjustment Board 
- Project Management Institute 
- Young Presidents Organization 
- Town of Caledon 
- Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning [2009, 2010]
- Be a star: Finding important problems - February 2014
- TEDxUW talk by Larry Smith, November 2011- "Why you will fail to have a great career"
- Recommended books
- Suggested sites for economic data
- Career development
- Entrepreneurship and innovation
- Technology markets