This page gives information on two types of awards:
- Federal and provincial programs
- Other external funding opportunities
For detailed information about scholarships, awards, and bursaries, please consult the Graduate Studies Office (GSO) Awards and Funding page.
See the External scholarship recipients page for a list of students who have received external scholarship funding.
Federal and provincial programs
Student submission deadlines are bolded below. It is the students' responsibility to keep track of their submission deadlines.
Please note: The Department cannot nominate students for the Trudeau and Vanier awards without applications. Please see application submission deadlines below.
Transcript request deadline
Department deadlineStudents must submit to the Department
GSO/Agency deadlineStudents and referees must submit online
Department review period
Department must rank
|Department ranking meeting||Department to GSO submission deadline|
|CIHR Doctoral||Sept. 22||NA||Sept. 24||NA||NA||NA|
|NSERC Doctoral||Sept. 25||NA||Oct. 15||
|SSHRC Doctoral||Sept. 25||Oct. 22||NA||Oct. 22 - Nov. 18||Nov. 13||Nov. 18|
|CGS-M (Tri-Council MA)||Nov. 24||NA||Dec. 1||
Part A: Dec. 2– 16
Part B: Dec. 17 - 29
Part A: Feb. 4Part B: Feb. 12
|Trudeau Doctoral||Nov. 16||NA||Nov 22||NA||NA||NA|
|Vanier CGS||Sept. 25||NA||Sep. 30||Oct. 7-15||Oct. 9||Oct. 15|
|OGS category 1||Oct. 13||Oct. 16||NA||Oct. 17 - Nov. 9||Nov. 9||Oct. 23|
|OGS category 2||Jan. 27||Feb. 1||NA||
Part A: Feb. 2 - 5Part B: Feb. 8 - March 15
|OGS category 3||Department deadline: Feb 1st.|
|OGS category 4||NA||NA||Feb. 1||Feb. 3 – 12||TBD||Feb. 13|
- OGS category 1 = International undergraduate students applying for admission to a graduate program; International graduate students continuing in their program; International graduate students applying for admission to another graduate program at Waterloo; International students applying for a Vanier through Waterloo in the Fall 2014 term.
- OGS category 2 = Graduate students continuing in their program who are ineligible to apply for a Tri-Agency award.
- OGS category 3 = Current and future students applying to Tri-Agency award or CGS-M. Complete OGS form and submit to graduate coordinator. Complete the applicable sections of the Academic Assessment Report and forward it to referees to finish completing.
- OGS category 4 = Students external to Waterloo, who did not apply for a Tri-Agency / CGS-M award and are applying for admission to a graduate program at Waterloo. No separate OGS application required.
Other external funding opportunities
Please find below the most recent award funding, scholarships, and bursary opportunities sent to the English Department:
Canadian Poets and Short Story Writers: The Ross & Davis Mitchell Prize for Faith and Writing
Posting date: November 18, 2016
Submission deadline: June 30, 2017
For more information, visit the Faith in Canada website.
The Literary Encyclopedia Research Travel Awards 2017
Posting Date: March 29, 2017
Closing Date: October 31, 2017
The Literary Encyclopedia Scholarship Fund has been established through the donation of royalties by contributors and editors to the Encyclopedia.
In 2017 the Literary Encyclopedia Scholarship Fund will award two or three (depending on the number and strength of proposals received) travel bursaries worth £500 each to assist emerging scholars in defraying the costs of archival research on a literary or related matter. Conference attendance will not be covered.
Applicants must be either contributors to The Literary Encyclopedia or carrying out doctoral research in an institution which subscribes to The Literary Encyclopedia and should normally be under the age of 35 on 1st January 2017 or within ten years of completing their doctorate.
The research travel must be completed before September 30th 2017 and recipients will be expected to provide formal reports on their work by October 31st 2017.
Applicants should please download and complete the application form attached HERE, and email it to The Managing Editor no later than 28th February 2017. We hope to announce decisions by the end of April 2017.
You can read about the winning candidates and research proposals from previous years HERE.