Wondering what to pay your co-op student? Click here for student earnings data.
If you have questions about any of the programs on the list, please contact the associated agency directly.
Top funding opportunities
Co-operative Education Tax Credit (CETC): 25-30 per cent tax credit, up to $3,000 per 12-16 week work term. For Ontario-based co-op employers.
Export Market Access: A Global Expansion Program: Grant coverage up to 50% of eligible costs. For operations at least two years old, with five to 500 employees and minimum annual sales totaling $500,000.
Industrial Undergraduate Research Assistance (NSERC): Awards $4,500 for a 12-16 week work term. For private companies that hire undergraduate researchers.
Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC): List of programs that provide funding for existing and growing sectors in Northern Ontario.
OCE Smart Seed Fund: Young entrepreneurs aged 18-29 from across the province of Ontario with technology or innovation based start-ups can earn up to $35,000 in funding.
Ontario Innovation Tax Credit (OITC): 10% refundable tax credit, up to $300,000 per year. For Ontario corporations that hire students for scientific research and experimental development.
National Research Council Canada Industrial Research Assistance Programs (NRC-IRAP): Up to $30,000 for a graduate student's salary. For Canadian manufacturing companies. (General IRAP funding webpage)
SMART Program: Assessment Funding for Northern Ontario Manufacturers:50% funding up to $50,000 per project. For small and medium-sized businesses.
SMART Program: Advanced Technologies for Global Growth: 35% funding of up to $100,000 per project. For eligible small and medium-sized exporting businesses.
Scientific Research and Experimental Development Program: 20-35% investment tax credits. For Canadian corporations that conduct scientific research and experimental development.
More funding opportunities
The Funding Portal (Find government grants and financing)
Undergraduate Research Internship (URI) Program (UWaterloo faculty only)
Opportunities Fund (wage subsidy program funded by Biotalent)
Career Focus (wage subsidy program funded by Biotalent)
Career Focus Green Jobs (wage subsidy program funded by Biotalent)
- Funded through Environment and Climate Change Canada’s Science Horizons Program, the Environmental Youth Corps (EYC) Internship Program gives eligible employers who work in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM), up to 50% of an intern’s salary (up to $15,000) for new full-time environmental jobs.
- The Clean Tech Internship program matches employers who work in the green and clean technology sectors with college and institute science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) student and grads. Eligible employers can receive up to $12,000 to hire an intern for a Clean Tech job.
Green Jobs Initiative (GJI) is an Expansion of NRCan’s Science and Technology Internship Program (STIP). Employers will be provided with salary support of up to 80% of an intern’s salary, to a maximum of $10,000 CAD for each four-month internship.
Career Focus Green Jobs is a wage subsidy program for employment opportunities that have a green mandate or any job with an employer that has an environmental focus. The program provides up to a maximum of $13,500 in wage subsidies to help employers hire the talent they need and help recent graduates initiate a career.
Co-op funding opportunities outside Ontario
- Energy Training Program for Students
- Research and Development Tax Credit
- Strategic Cooperative Education Incentive (SCEI)
- Tax Credits for Practicums in the Workplace
- Tax Credit for R&D Salary for Pharmaceutical Activities
- Tax Credit for On-the-Job Training Period
Funding opportunities for hiring regular stream students
- Hiring a non-co-op student? Visit funding opportunities for hiring non-co-op students.