Shared mailboxes are email/calendar accounts whose access is controlled by a security group rather than a password. These mailboxes can only be accessed by users in the security group.
How to add a shared mailbox to Outlook
- Open Outlook. Click on the “File” tab near the top-left corner of the window, and then click the “+Add Account” button.
- Type in the email address of the shared mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org and then click the “Connect” button.
- Click "Back" then delete the shared mailbox email and type in email@example.com
- Click "Next" then type in your WatIAM password in the password field.
- Click "Sign In", and complete 2FA as necessary by following the prompts.
- In the bottom left corner of the pop-up dialogue select "No, sign in to this app only."
- A message stating “Account successfully updated. You need to restart Outlook for these changes to take effect" will appear. Click the “Done” button to close the window.
- Close Outlook – wait about 10 seconds – then launch Outlook.
- Be patient when you restart Outlook. Email messages, folders, and calendar appointments in the shared mailbox will require time to download from the server.
- The next time you click on the "New Email" button, you will have the option to send from either the shared mailbox or your personal account.
- Try sending a 'test' message from the shared mailbox to ensure the account is working properly.
The default setting for Outlook for Windows is to only download the last 12 months of email into its Offline Cache when an account is added. To download ALL email messages to make the viewing and searching of older email messages faster complete the following steps…
- Click on the “File” tab near the top-left corner of the window, then click the “Account Settings” button, and then click “Account Settings…” from the drop-down menu list.
- Double-click on the shared mailbox to edit the account settings.
- Drag the slider for “Download email for the past:” from near the middle of the window to the far right to set it at “All” then click on the “Next” button at the bottom right.
- A prompt stating “Account successfully updated. You need to restart Outlook for these changes to take effect” will appear. Click the “Done” button at the bottom of the page, and then close the "Account Settings" window.
- You do not need to restart Outlook immediately, however after closing Outlook wait about 10 seconds before relaunching it.
- In Outlook, click the "Tools" tab near the top of the window.
- Click the "Accounts" button near the top left corner.
- Click on the "Delegation and Sharing" button on your personal firstname.lastname@example.org account.
- Navigate to the "Shared With Me" tab.
- Click on the "+" icon.
- Search for the address of the shared mailbox.
- Select the adress and click "Add".
- Log in at Outlook.com using the credentials associated with your personal UW email account:
- email@example.com (not the shared mailbox userid)
- your WatIAM password
- On the left side menu, right-click "Folders."
- In the drop-down menu select "Add shared folder."
- In the pop-up dialogue enter the shared mailbox email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click "Add."
- Open the Outlook App and log in with the credentials associated with your personal UW email account.
- In the top left corner tap your profile picture.
- In the bottom left of the menu click the "Settings" cog.
- Under the section "Mail Accounts" tap "Add Mail Account."
- Select "Add Shared Mailbox."
- Enter email@example.com and click "Add Shared Mailbox."
If you need to Configure manually, you can use these server settings:
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- Domain: uwaterloo.ca
If you have any questions, contact Science Computing Helpdesk.