If you are not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada, you must have a valid study permit for the post-secondary level to study at the University of Waterloo. One exception is when the duration of your program of study is six months or less. 

If you attended high school in Canada, you must apply for a new study permit for your studies at university. A high school (secondary) study permit does not authorize study at the university (post-secondary) level. This post-secondary study permit must be obtained before your first day of classes.

Study permits issued after June 1, 2014 become invalid 90 days after completion of program.