Students taking online courses can live anywhere in the world, may be studying part-time, and may be taking multiple courses across faculties, which makes exam invigilation more complicated than it is for on-campus courses. Currently, most examinations are paper-based, and the Centre for Extended Learning (CEL) has a well established process to get your exams to the students wherever they may be, and have them returned to you for marking in a timely manner. We take academic integrity very seriously and have measures in place to adhere to all of Waterloo's policies.
Develop the examination(s)
- Create the exam(s). If you need assistance, your project team would be happy to help.
- Early in the term, our Examinations Specialist will contact you to request your exam masters, preferably two versions, which are due by Week 6. This allows time for printing, sorting and shipping to the various locations around the world.
- Proof-read the exams thoroughly, including instructions, numbering and formatting.
Mark the exam(s)
- You are welcome to attend the the exam session for your course in the PAC. You are also welcome to collect these exams immediately following the exam session if you wish to start marking right away.
- Pick the exams up after they are returned to CEL. This can take several weeks depending where the exam was written.
- Mark and upload the grades into Quest as happens with on-campus courses.
You will also be asked to work with our Examinations Specialist to coordinate deferred and rescheduled exams.
- We coordinate the printing, distribution, proctors and return of exams for the majority of Waterloo's online courses. Depending where they live, students can write on-campus, with Accessibilitiy Services, at an exam centre, or with a proctor.
- We create the exam schedule around Week 4, and communicate with students to coordinate their exam locations.
- We coordinate exams when students need relief from back to back exams, as per university policy.
- We collect and sort the exams as they are returned to us, and let you know when you can pick them up.
- If you wish, we will also work with you to reschedule missed exams. We schedule two alternate exam sessions on campus to accommodate exams missed due to illness, students with conflicts or exams that were not written due to other reasons. On occasion, exams must be postponed until the next term or the next offering of the course, and we are happy to facilitate that as well.