Centre for Extended Learning (CEL)
East Campus 3 (EC3)
195 Columbia St. W.
Students taking online courses can be anywhere in the world, may be on a co-op term, may be studying part-time, and may be taking multiple courses across faculties, which can make exam invigilation complicated.
Currently, most examinations are paper-based, and the Centre for Extended Learning (CEL) has a well established process to get your exams to your students wherever they may be, and have them returned to you for marking in a timely manner. We take academic integrity very seriously and have measures in place to adhere to all of Waterloo's policies.
View the 2019 Schedule for Exam Centres
Develop the examination(s)
- Create the exam(s). If you need assistance, your project team would be happy to help.
- Early in the term, our Examinations Specialist will contact you to request your exam masters, preferably two versions, which are due by Week 6. This allows time for printing, sorting and shipping to the various locations around the world.
- Proof-read the exams thoroughly, including instructions, numbering and formatting. We do not read your exams before printing.
- Be aware that your exams will be written at locations all over the world. View the Exam Dates and Locations page or details. Note that individual students may have made alternate arrangements. Students should be directed to Quest to see their particular exam details.
Mark the exam(s)
- You are welcome to attend the the exam session for your course in the Physical Activities Centre (PAC). You are also welcome to collect these exams immediately following the exam session if you wish to start marking right away.
- Pick the exams up after they are returned to CEL. We will email you when they are available. This can take several weeks depending where the exam was written. We have a convenient 30 minute free parking spot available at our Shipping/Receiving door.
- Mark and upload the grades into Quest as happens with on-campus courses. If an exam is not written for whatever reason, please upload the appropriate information into Quest.
- If a student misses a final exam and requests an Incomplete (INC) grade, please make the appropriate arrangements and notify us if you need assistance coordinating a makeup exam. Details can be found in the Registrar's Resources page.
- We coordinate the scheduling, printing, distribution, proctors and return of exams for the majority of Waterloo's online courses. Depending where they live, students can write on-campus, with Accessibility Services, at an exam centre, or with a proctor.
- We create the exam schedule in conjunction with the on-campus exam schedule, and communicate with students to coordinate their exam locations.
- We coordinate exams when students need relief from back to back exams, as per university policy. The exams are written in the Accessibility Services exam centre
- We collect and sort the exams as they are returned to us, and let you know when you can pick them up.
- If you wish, we will also work with you to reschedule missed and deferred exams. We schedule two alternate exam sessions on campus to accommodate exams missed due to illness, students with conflicts, or exams that were not written due to other reasons. On occasion, exams must be postponed until the next term or the next offering of the course, and we are happy to facilitate that as well.
Visit our Write exams page for details about student responsibilities, proctors and exam centres.