What is Financial Analysis and Risk Management (FARM)?
The world of finance requires professionals with strong mathematical and analytical skills. You’ll hone them both in this challenging program — one of just a handful across the country recognized by the CFA Institute and the Professional Risk Managers' International Association (PRMIA).
You’ll be ready to deliver, whether you choose to pursue a career in financial analysis or risk management. Combine courses in mathematics, statistics, and computer science with corporate finance, micro and macroeconomics, and other business-related courses, and you’ll be prepared for your Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Professional Risk Manager (PRM) designation.
- Available as a co-op and regular program
- There are 40 courses for this degree
- Dedicated Living Learning Community for first-year students
- Graduate with a Bachelor of Mathematics, major in Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management
- Specializations in Chartered Financial Analyst or Professional Risk Management
- MATH 135/145 - Classical Algebra
- MATH 137/147 - Calculus 1
- CS 115/135/145 - Computer Science
- COMM 101 - Introduction to Financial Markets
- A communications course
- ACTSC 231 - Introductory Financial Mathematics
- ACTSC 372 - Investment Science and Corporate Finance
- CS 330 - Management Information Systems
- MATHBUS 470 - Derivatives
- STAT 333 - Stochastic Processes 1
Sample co-op jobs
- Associate Business Analyst, Bank of Montreal
- Data Analyst, Ontario Lottery & Gaming Corporation
- Hedging & Assets Specialist, Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan
- Information Systems Assistant, TD Bank Financial Group
- Investment Performance Intern, Bell Canada
- Junior Gaming Analyst, SS&C Technologies
- Trading Products Quantitative Analyst, CPP Investment Board
- Business Development Planner, Nissan Finance, Nissan Canada
- Capital Markets Risk Management Associate, TD Securities
- Consultant, Capgemini Canada
- Data Support Analyst, Sustainanalytics
- Observational Risk Analyst, CIBC
- Portfolio Management, Evaluator, Foresea Life Insurance Company
- Treasury Manager, TD Canada Trust
What is a professional designation? It's a professional approval by an employer or organization that a person can demonstrate particular standards of excellence in their field of work.
- Graduates from Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management can pursue:
- The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation.
- The Professional Risk Management (PRM) designation.
When Daniel isn’t focusing on schoolwork, he enjoys getting involved in a few different extracurriculars that the University of Waterloo has to offer. He has participated in the FARM Student Association as its IT Analyst, he's a Math Ambassador at open houses, and he loves dancing in the Mambo Club.
Tracie hails from China and has enjoyed co-op terms both in Canada and at home. She has worked with notable companies including CGI Group Inc. and Tesla working in resource management, research and development and recruitment. She's currently working towards earning her Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation.
If you're interested in Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management, you may also be interested in these programs that offer similar courses or career opportunities:
How to apply
Apply directly to Mathematics/Financial Analysis and Risk Management for admissions consideration.
Find out more information on the steps to apply.