The New Residence Building is located in the heart of UW Place and offers single and semi-private double rooms, plenty of study space, and a variety of dining options.
Size: 539 residents
Rooms: Single and Semi-Private
Meal plan: Required
Community: First-year and upper-year students
Mascot: UWP Unicorn
First-year contract: Fall-Winter or Fall-Spring
Upper-year contract: Fall-Winter or Fall-Spring
Building: New Residence Facility consists of 12 floors with 49 beds on each floor - 1 Don, 8 single, and 20 double rooms. There are 16 full bathrooms per floor and 6 lounges on each floor for studying, socializing and meetings.
Features and amenities
Eatery and dining
Food Services is proud to offer a brand new eatery in the New Residence Building. The Market will provide a multitude of options from prepared foods, made to order options, the campus’ biggest salad bar to produce and take away meals to enjoy later.
The Market will have:
Booster Juice: A Booster Juice will be in the eatery ready to make you your favourite smoothies.
Chef & the Farmer: Our famous local grill is where you will find 100% all-beef fresh, never frozen burgers, French fries made in house, and a huge selection of grilled items including chicken, Portobello and veggie options!
FreshXPRESS Entrees: These will be cold meals you can take back to your suite or room to heat up when you’re ready to eat them. Some will require assembly such as our stir-fry kits. Don’t worry – they come with instructions!
Creation Station: Offering a rotation of customizable meals including omelets, pastas, curries, stir fries and more!
Hot Dish: Your go-to for international meals! Offering a wide selection of hot entrée options, all weighted, so take a lot of one, or a little of everything!
Barra de Burrito: You asked for it and we brought it, customizable burritos or burrito bowls!
The Deli: Local meats from Stemmler’s Deli on artisan bread or wraps with all the fillings you could want!
Upper Crust: Get your own customized wood-stone pizza, quesadilla or nachos here.
The Carvery: Offering flat bread pizzas during lunch and carved meats and specialty items during dinner. You won’t want to miss this station
Micro-Grocery Store: We’ll also be offering many grocery items for convenience – such as milk, eggs, dried pasta and sauces, and a ton of fresh produce including lettuce, carrots and other vegetables and fruits such as bananas, apples and much more!
24-hr front desk
Available to all residents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The front desk offers: faxing, photocopying, stamp purchases, parcel pick-up and mail distribution. You can also visit the front desk to sign out: equipment, facilities, movies and games.
All rooms and common areas include an unlimited high-speed Internet (ResNet) connection.
Dons are upper-year students living on each floor in residence to provide students with mentorship and support.
Heat, electricity, water and internet are all included with your residence fee.
WatCard operated laundry facilities are located in the main laundry facility. Irons and ironing boards are also available from the Front Desk for you to use.
NRB is the only traditional-style residence with air conditioning available.
As a UWaterloo resident, you have access to amenities located in other residences including: gaming tables, movies, music rooms, fitness rooms, tutoring centres, cafeterias and study rooms.
NRB residents have access to: pool, snooker, ping pong, board games, movies, a music room, a multi-faith room, and fitness room.
Study and meeting rooms
Residents are able to book shared rooms and spaces for group meetings or study sessions.
Located within NRB, the brand new fitness room includes treadmills, stationary bikes, step machines, free weights, mats and more.
Floor lounge includes a small kitchenette with a microwave and full-sized refrigerator for residents to share.
NRB is centrally located to both campus and several off-campus hot spots including Waterloo Park and University Plaza. UWP also has access to two LRT stations nearby.
Select common areas have a shared TV with cable service. Individual rooms are cable-ready; however, students must make their own arrangements to have service installed in their own room.
IT Service Desk
Located in the V1 community centre, the Residence IT Service Desk offers free technical support and services to all residents.
Room details and floor plans
All single rooms in NRB include:
- Twin-sized bed and mattress
- Desk chair
- Desk with built-in light and storage
- (2) stackable dressers that can be tucked under the bed.
All semi-private rooms in NRB include:
- (2) Twin-sized beds and mattresses
- (2) Nightstands
- (2) Wardrobes
- (2) Desk chairs
- (2) Desks with built-in light and storage
- (4) stackable dressers that can be tucked under the bed.
Single and Semi-Private room
Full details coming soon.
Cleaning and housekeeping
All residents are responsible for the day-to-day cleaning and maintenance of their room. A member of our cleaning services staff will clean the washrooms and common areas daily. Although Housing staff clean washrooms daily, residents are responsible for cleaning up after themselves.
Your Room Number
165 University Ave. West
Waterloo, ON, Canada
165 University Ave. West
Waterloo, ON, Canada
Mail is delivered and picked up daily, except on holidays and weekends.
You will receive an email notification from the Front Desk for packages and large envelopes upon arrival. Your parcel can be picked up at Front Desk with WatCard identification.
Frequently asked questions
Can you share my information with friends or family?
- No. If someone other than you, the applicant, is trying to obtain information on your behalf, we are not able to release your information to them.
- We will only release your information to you, the applicant, as per Policy 46.
- We care about your privacy.
What should I do if I notice unsafe conditions in my residence building?
- If you notice unsafe conditions in or around our residence buildings, report them to a nearby Housing staff member right away. As per Policy 34, we all have a responsibility to keep our campus safe.
Is tap water safe to drink?
- Yes. The Region of Waterloo maintain a high standard of quality assurance to ensure our tap water is safe to drink. For more information about the Region’s water treatment practices, please visit The Region of Waterloo website.
What happens if I lose my key(s)?
- Lost keys should be reported to your residence Front Desk immediately.
- If you lose your key(s), a spare one will be issued to you for up to 7 business days. If after 7 business days your key(s) has not been returned, you will be assessed a $50 fee to cover the cost of a lock change, and you (and your roommates, if applicable) will be given a brand new set of keys.
Who should I contact if I have a maintenance request?
- If an item in your room needs repairs, please contact the maintenance team in your residence building at the following email address:
- New Residence Building: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other traditional-style residences
Village 1 (V1) was the first residence built for students at the University of Waterloo. With a long history, it is here where many first-year students will call home.
Ron Eydt Village
Ron Eydt Village (REV) is a first-year exclusive residence, with plenty of social and academic programming to make your first year in residence a memorable one!