Everyone deserves an equal chance to learn and thrive where they live, and everyone in our residence community has a responsibility to support an equitable and welcoming learning and living environment. We deeply value the diverse contributions of Black, Indigenous, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ students, students with disabilities; and actively commit to develop an inclusive and anti-racist community for all of our students. Prejudice or hate of any kind has no place in our residences. Campus Housing staff are committed to helping you find your space to learn and live in residence. Please contact Campus Housing if you have specific needs, or questions about our residence spaces and communities, or how you can get the supports or accommodations you need to thrive in residence. To learn more please see our Plan of Action: Campus Housing Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism response.
What should I pack?
As you get ready to move into your new, you are probably wondering what to bring. Keep reading for more details about what to bring (and what not to bring) to your traditional or suite-style residence. You can also download a printable checklist here!
Pro Tip: Travel light, bring a reminder of home with you, and know that if you forget anything, the W Store has you covered. Visit their website to learn more about their exclusive dorm essentials bundle that includes everything you need to get started.
What to bring (Traditional rooms & Suites)
Browse school supplies available through W Store.
- Binders, paper, and notebooks
- Pens and pencils
- Stapler, scissors, ruler, pencil sharpener, three-hole punch
- Computer paper
- Thumbtacks, pushpins, paper clips
- University documents
- WatCard (if you have it already)
- Health card
- Bank card
- Driver's licence/other ID card
Appliances and electronics
Browse appliances and electronics available through W Store.
- Alarm clock
- Extra lamp (not halogen)
- Automatic shut-off coffee maker (Keurig or Tassimo) or kettle.
- Computer, printer and all required cables
- External hard drive or thumb drive
- Power bar with a surge protector
- Mini fridge (maximum 5 cubic feet)
Browse official Waterloo and Waterloo Warriors clothing available through W Store.
- Shoes suitable for walking
Bath, laundry & grooming
- Shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush / toothpaste, razor, and other toiletries
- A container to transport toiletries to and from the washroom
- Flip flops for the shower
- Towels and wash cloth
- Hair dryer
- Cold medicine, pain reliever, prescribed medication, band-aids, sunscreen
- Laundry bag / detergent / softener
Bedding & decoration
- Twin (single) size sheets and blanket, and pillow(s). Bedding is available for purchase through W Store.
- Double size sheets and blanket, and pillow(s) if you are an Upper-Year student living on the 2nd or 3rd floor of Beck Hall
- Photos of friends and family
- Posters and room decorations
- Double-sided sticky mounts for hanging up pictures
- Whiteboard with dry-erase markers to hang on your door
- Under bed storage containers, you can expect approximately 1ft of storage space under your bed
- Non-medical face coverings
- Cleaning supplies
- Contents insurance (highly recommended)
- Snacks and drinks, water filter
- Basic dishes - bowl, coffee mug, water glass, basic cutlery and dish soap
- Bicycle, helmet, and lock
What to bring (Suites only)
It's a good idea to talk to your suitemates first and decide who can bring what. You don't want to end up with 2 televisions and 4 microwaves!
Browse kitchen and dorm items available through W Store.
- Pots and pans
- Dishes and silverware
- Glasses and mugs
- Can opener
- Knives, wooden spoons, ladle, flipper
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Plastic containers with lids
- Dish rack, dish soap, dish towels, sponges/cloths
- garbage bags
- cleaning supplies (all-surface cleaner, etc)
- toilet paper
- Coffee maker
- Toaster/toaster oven
- Water cooler
- Posters & other decorations
- Gaming system
- Streaming box
What's already included in my suite?
- Toilet brush and caddy
- Shower Curtain
- Mop and bucket
- Broom and dust pan
- Recycling bins or recycling bags
What not to bring
- Candles or incense
- Wireless routers or extenders
- Halogen lamps
- Heaters or heat lamps
- Air conditioner
- Your own furniture (University provided furniture cannot be removed from the room; you can bring a small table or desk chair only)
- Pets (not allowed in residence)
- Illegal substances or materials
If you are living in a Traditional room, cooking appliances are not permitted (hot plates, toasters, rice cookers, microwaves, crock pots etc.)