Applying and accepting your residence contract

Apply icon.

Apply for residence through an online form

Whether you're a first-year student, upper-year, exchange student, grad or family, you can Apply for Residence Here. When do applications open? Check out our important dates page!

check your email icon

Check your UWaterloo email account

Check your account for an email from Campus Housing. This email will contain a contract offer. Learn how to access your UWaterloo email here.

Welcome home icon.

Login to your Welcome Home page

Once you accept your contract, you can login to your Welcome Home page. This platform allows you see your roommates, view your residence contract and more.



While you don't have to pay first and last months' rent, we do require a $500 (non-refundable) deposit to reserve your room! Paid deposits are deducted from your final fees owing.

First-year process: 
A $500 deposit is required as part of your Residence Community Ranking Form submission.

Upper-year and Graduate process:
A $500 deposit is paid online through your Offer of Residence (we'll send a link to your UWaterloo email).

Important Fee Information

Pro-rated contracts 

If you accept a residence contract for a term that have already begun, residence fees will be prorated from the date of contract acceptance. 

Financial Responsibility 

Our terms and conditions state that students who have accepted their residence contract are held financially responsible for the full length of their contract. 

This means—should you choose to cancel your contract—you will be required to pay your full residence fees. 

Learn more about our withdrawal or cancellation policies here

Application exceptions

Student types

  • Co-op students on a local work term - please use the upper-year application process
  • Pharmacy students - please use the upper-year application process
  • Optometry students - please use the single graduate application process
  • Transfer & CEGEP students (from another university or college) - please contact us for guidance

Contract conditions

  • Fall residents must sign a 2-term contract (fall/winter or fall/spring)
  • Winter or spring term residents may sign a 1-term contract
  • Spring residents get priority placement for the following winter term

Calculating the total cost of residence

To calculate the total cost of residence, add together the full year (or term) fee of your assigned residence, plus the full year fee of the meal plan selected (if applicable).

  • Traditional-style dorm residences require purchase of a meal plan per term in residence.

  • Suite-style apartment residences have optional meal plans as cooking facilities are provided.

  • All fees are to be paid at the beginning of each term on quest. Learn how to become fees arranged.

Deposit Payment methods

Accepted forms of payment

  • Credit card*

  • Visa/Debit hybrid card**

  • Certified cheque or money order (personal cheques are not accepted)

*Please note we recommend paying your deposit via credit card.

**Please select 'credit card' for Visa/Debit when playing online.


Income tax information

Residence fees cannot be claimed as rent for income tax purposes. Under the Income Tax Act, universities are exempt from paying municipal property taxes. 

The Ontario Income Tax Act stipulates that all students living in designated university (tax-exempted) student residences are limited to an Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit claim based on an occupancy cost of $25 for the time they resided in the student residence. Therefore, the amount that can be claimed for income tax purposes is $25 and not the full amount of residence fees paid. On Line 6114 (Student Residences) of your income tax return, tick the box to claim $25 as your occupancy cost for the part of the year you lived in residence. 

We do not issue a tax receipt for residence fees or meal plan payments.

For more information and to view the list of designated student residences, please visit the Ontario Ministry of Finance website and review the “Frequently Asked Questions” section.