Centre for Extended Learning (CEL)
East Campus 3 (EC3)
195 Columbia St. W.
Some exams and tests at Waterloo are being invigilated using online proctoring this term. Your instructor will advise you if online proctoring is being used in your course. This provides you with the opportunity to write exams online while assuring academic integrity is maintained. To accomplish this the University has enlisted a remote proctoring tool through ProctorU that leverages automation and artificial intelligence (AI) to provide proctoring.
ProctorU allows you to take your exam from a location of your choosing, within a time period specified by your instructor. It monitors you during your exam via your webcam and records the activities on your computer. You should understand that:
- There is no fee to use the service. If you object to writing your exam with an online proctoring service please contact your instructor.
- When the exam is activated you will receive detailed instructions on how to create an account with ProctorU and write your exam from your instructor.
- Ensure you are in a quiet and private area when you take your exam.
- Your instructor, TA, or other designated Waterloo staff members may observe your exam session.
- If you have registered with AccessAbility Services please check with your Accommodation Consultant in advance to see if you need to adjust your academic plan.
- Your exam will be recorded and the data will be managed according to the University records classification scheme, WatClass, and will be securely destroyed when no longer needed by the University.
- During the startup process you will be required to show a photo WatCard or government issued photo identification.
- Please review the video below for additional details.
ProctorU is available 24/7. Please visit and review the ProctorU test-taker resource center if you have questions.
You should confirm your computer meets the minimum requirements to work with their system. You will also need:
- microphone and speakers (not a headset or earbuds)
- photo WatCard or government issued photo ID
- the current version of Chrome or Firefox and have downloaded the ProctorU extension for Chrome or Firefox.
- to review their exam readiness guide.
You should expect the startup process with the automated system to take about 10-15 minutes. Technical support is available via chat or phone. This startup time will not affect your exam time. Please feel free to direct any questions to the ProctorU test taker support team via the live chat within your account.
Statutory and Policy Requirements
Under the authority of the University of Waterloo Act, 1972, the University gathers and maintains information used for the purposes of admission, registration, and other fundamental activities related to being a member of the University community and enrolled in a public post-secondary institution located in the province of Ontario, Canada. The information collected and used for online proctoring is related directly to, and needed by, the University for the purpose of administering online exams and maintaining the academic integrity of the exam process.
Questions or Concerns
For questions specific to your exam or online proctoring in relation to your course please speak with your instructor.
General questions about online proctoring at Waterloo should be emailed to the Centre for Extended Learning.
Questions about personal information and privacy at the University or about our responsibilities under Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation should be directed to the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about Information and Privacy.