When you ask the Psychology Undergraduate Advisor to evaluate a course(s) to be taken at another university, please include a description of the course content or the link to the associated website. A more detailed course outline including topic covered, method of evaluation, and title/author of the textbooks/readings might be necessary depending on the course and the course/degree requirement you are hoping to fulfill.
Requesting approval to take courses elsewhere
Courses at other universities that are not part of an international exchange program:
- is your responsibility to apply for admission at the host school as a visiting student (contact them for details such as procedures, deadlines, and course availability), and to apply to the University of Waterloo for a letter of permission before taking the course(s).
- Letter of Permission Form
Exception to the Letter of Permission requirement:
- Courses at Laurier University, including Laurier Business courses that appear on the University of Waterloo Schedule of Classes, are covered under cross-registration policy. Please use a Cross Registration Form instead of a Letter of Permission Form for Laurier courses.
- Enrolment in Business (BUS) courses at Laurier University
Psychology Co-op students taking courses elsewhere during a school term: To qualify for the next work term, you must have no fewer than 1.5 units at UWaterloo (or on an exchange program) the school term prior to that work term.
Review transfer credit policies and residency requirements before taking courses elsewhere
Home Faculty Arts:
- Internal and external transfer credit policies, including policies and procedures regarding taking courses at other universities on Cross-Registration (Laurier University only) or Letter of Permission
- residency requirements
Home Faculty Science:
Home Faculty Applied Health Science, Engineering, Environment, or Mathematics
- consult with the academic advisor in your home Faculty
For the residency requirements for the Psychology Major, see Psychology Department policies.
Students who are on conditional standing are not eligible to take courses elsewhere.
Grades for courses taken elsewhere
Note warnings on the above websites regarding grades that are not included in the University of Waterloo average calculations as well as the number of UWaterloo courses that must be completed on a numerical grading basis.
Final grades for Psychology courses taken on letter of permission, cross-registration, or exchange will not be included in the UWaterloo average calculations.
Courses taken on a credit/no credit or pass/fail basis are not acceptable for transfer credit.
Looking for online studies?
- Canadian Virtual University Courses
- Ontario Online Learning Portal for Students
- Online learning opportunities in Ontario (Ministry of Training , Colleges and Universities website)
- Examples of schools offering online courses:
Last updated: March 5, 2015