(This information is to be used in conjunction with the University undergraduate calendar which in all cases is the final authority.)
Students enrolled in any non- or post-degree academic plan may pursue the Diploma in Human Resources Management.
Students in degree studies who satisfactorily complete the requirements for the Human Resources Management Minor, but for whatever reason must discontinue their degree studies, may request a Diploma in Human Resources Management. Those who earn the Diploma are precluded from pursuing a second Human Resources Management plan if they are later admitted or readmitted to degree studies.
The Diploma in Human Resources Management requires successful completion of a minimum of four academic course units (eight courses) with a minimum cumulative average of 70%, including:
- AFM 123*/ARBUS 102, or both of AFM 101 and 102
- HRM 200*
- at least two of PSYCH 238/338*, 339*, 340*
- at least three of HRM 301*, 303*, 305*, 307*
- remaining course (to a total of eight) from the above, or:
- HRM 400
- PSYCH 439
- one of MSCI 311; PACS 202
- Please refer to the Admission section for the Faculty of Arts for details regarding the residency requirement.
- Please check the prerequisites for the courses listed above.
- Students are encouraged to complete HRM 200 before enrolling in PSYCH 339 or PSYCH 340. Note that second year students are given priority enrolment in HRM 200.
- Students who have completed a Diploma in Human Resources Management or the course requirements for the Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) / Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation, are precluded from enrolling in the Human Resources Management Minor or Diploma at Waterloo.
- Students interested in pursuing the CHRL/CHRP designation are advised to review the CHRL/CHRP requirements and consult with the HRM program advisor before finalizing their HRM course selections.
- PSYCH 338 has been renumbered to PSYCH 238 as of Fall 2016. Either course code will count towards the Psych minor and the CHRL/CHRP designation.
No exceptions to the above requirements will be made without prior written approval of the HRM Academic Advisor.
CHRL/CHRP designation: The courses with asterisks (*) have been approved by the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA) towards the Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) / Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designations. Details regarding the CHRL/CHRP designation, including course work requirements, may be found on the HRPA website. Note that Psych 340 was approved by HRPA effective Fall 2006 (the Fall 2005 offering was not approved).
Plan average: All of the above courses are included in the HRM average calculation regardless of whether any of these courses is in excess of the minimum required. See the Academic Standing Definition for further details.
It is solely the responsibility of students to ensure that they are properly registered and meet course requirements and the requirements of the program for which they are registered. All students should review the Undergraduate Calendar, the relevant program requirements, and course information carefully.