BA (Alberta), MSc (Calgary), PhD (Akron)
My research interests and publications span both the "I" and "O" side of the field of industrial psychology. On the "I" side, I am interested in how individuals form perceptions of organizations as well as the impact that faking has on the validity of selection instruments. On the "O" side, my interests lie in the areas of leadership, deviance, and the self as well as the intersection between these domains. My published work has addressed how leadership perceptions form and how and when malicious forms of leadership will impact subordinate well-being and sense of self.
- Lian, H., Brown, D. J., Tanzer, N.K., & Che, H. (in press). Distal charismatic leadership and follower effects: An examination of Conger and Kanungo's conceptualization of charisma in China. Leadership.
- Ferris, D.L., Rosen, C.C., Johnson, R.E., Brown, D. J., Risavy, S., & Heller, D. (in press). Approach or avoidance (or Both?): Integrating core self-evaluations within an Approach/Avoidance Framework. Personnel Psychology.
- Ferris, D.L., Spence, D.L., Brown, D .J., & Heller, D. (in press). Interpersonal injustice and workplace deviance: An esteem threat perspective. Journal of Management.
- Risavy, S.D., Komar, S.G., & Brown, D .J. (2010). Spontaneous trait inferences and organizational actions: The formation of organization personality perceptions. Canadian Journal of Behavioral Science, 42, 139-149.
- Robie, C., Komar, S., & Brown, D .J. (2010). The effects of coaching and speeding on big five and impression management scale scores. Human Performance, 23, 1-22.
- Ferris, D.L., Brown, D. J., Lian, H., & Keeping, L.(2009). Self-esteem level and contingencies of self-worth. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94, 1345-1353.
- Ferris, D.L., Brown, D. J., & Heller, D. (2009). Organizational supports and workplace deviance: The mediating role of organization-based self-esteem. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 108, 279-286.
- Heller, D., Ferris, D.L., Brown, D. J., & Watson, D. (2009). Work personality and home personality:Consistency, antecedents and satisfaction consequences. Journal of Personality,77, 1051-1084.
- Ferris, D. L., Brown, D.J., Berry, J., & Lian, H. (2008). The development and validation of the Workplace Ostracism Scale. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93 1348-1366.
- Komar, S., Brown, D. J., Komar, J., & Robie, C. (2008). Faking and the validity of conscientiousness: A monte carlo investigation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93, 140-154.
- Brown, D. J., Ferris, L.D., Heller, D., & Keeping, L.M. (2007). The antecedents and consequences of upward and downward social comparisons at work. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 102, 59-75.
- Brown, D. J., Cober, R. T., Kane, K., Levy, P. E., & Shalhoop, J. (2006). Proactive personality and the successful job search: A field investigation with recent college graduates. Journal of Applied Psychology, 91, 717-726.
- Scott, K., & Brown, D. J. (2006). Female first, leader second? Gender bias in the encoding of leadership behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 101, 230-242.
- Brown, D. J., & Keeping, L.M. (2005). Measuring transformational leadership with the MLQ: The role of affect. The Leadership Quarterly, 16, 245-272.
- Cober, R.T., Brown, D. J., Keeping, L.M., & Levy, P. (2004). Recruitment on the net: How do corporate web site characteristics influence applicant attraction? Journal of Management, 5, 623-646.
- Lord, R.G., & Brown, D. J. (2001). Leadership, values, and subordinate self-concepts. The Leadership Quarterly, 12, 133-152.
- Lord, R.G., Brown, D. J., Harvey, J.L., & Hall, R.J. (2001). Contextual constraints on prototype generation and their multi-level consequences for leadership perceptions. The Leadership Quarterly, 12, 311-338.
- Lord, R.G., Brown, D. J., & Freiberg, S.M. (1999). Understanding the dynamics of leadership: The interaction of self-concept in the leader/follower relationship. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 78, 1-37.
- Associate Editor Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes (July, 2010 to Present)
- Editorial Review Boards: The Leadership Quarterly (2001-2004; 2006-2010); The Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science (2007 to Present); Journal of Applied Psychology (October, 2008 to Present); Organizational Psychology Review (2009 to Present)