BS, Michigan State University
MA, University of Akron
PhD, University of Minnesota
My research deals primarily with motivational and self-regulatory processes. I study the way individuals allocate finite resources, such as time, effort, and attention across multiple, competing demands.
Student co-authors are underlined.
- & Beck, J. W. (2020). Development and validation of the State Regulatory Focus Scale. Human Performance, 33, 104-129.
- & Beck, J. W. (2020). The impact of goal progress velocity on affect while pursuing multiple sequential goals. Motivation Science, 6, 247-258.
- Beck, J. W., & (2020). A dynamic perspective on workplace motivation. In Y. Griep & S. D. Hansen (Eds.), Handbook on the Temporal Dynamics of Organizational Behavior (pp. 237-250). Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Beck, J. W., Schmidt, A. M., & Natali, M. W. (2019). Efficient proximal resource allocation strategies predict distal team performance: Evidence from the National Hockey League. Journal of Applied Psychology, 104, 1387-1403.
- Beck, J. W., & Shen, W. (2019). The effects of U.S. presidential elections on work engagement and job performance. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 68, 547-576.
- Beck, J. W., & Schmidt, A. M. (2018). Negative relationships between self-efficacy and performance can be adaptive: The mediating role of resource allocation. Journal of Management, 44, 555-588.
- Beck, J. W., Scholer, A. A., & (2017). Divergent effects of distance versus velocity disturbances on emotional experiences during goal pursuit. Journal of Applied Psychology, 102, 1109-1123.
- Beck, J. W., Scholer, A. A., & Schmidt, A. M. (2017). Workload, risks, and goal framing as antecedents of shortcut behaviors. Journal of Business and Psychology, 32, 421-440.
- Beck, J. W., Beatty, A. S., & Sackett, P. R. (2014). On the distribution of job performance: The role of measurement characteristics in observed departures from normality. Personnel Psychology, 67, 531-566.
- Beck, J. W., & Schmidt, A. M. (2013). State-level goal orientations as mediators of the relationship between time pressure and performance: A longitudinal study. Journal of Applied Psychology, 98, 354-363.
- Beck, J. W., & Schmidt, A. M. (2012). Taken out of context? Cross-level effects of between-person self-efficacy and difficulty on the within-person relationship of self-efficacy with resource allocation and performance. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 119, 195-208.
- Beck, J. W., Carr, A. E., & Walmsley, P. T. (2012). What have you done for me lately? Charisma attenuates the decline in U.S. presidential approval over time. Leadership Quarterly, 23, 934-942.