BA (Western); PhD (Waterloo)
Registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario in Clinical, Counselling and Rehabilitation with Children, Adolescents and Families
My primary responsibilities include operational oversight for the Centre for Mental Health Research and Treatment, clinical supervision of clinical psychology graduate students and residents, and facilitating research in the CMHRT.
Clinical and Research Interests
My clinical, research and community education interests include work with children and youth who have Learning Disabilities and mental health issues. In my role as Director of the Integra Program at Child Development Institute in Toronto, I was actively involved in program development, evaluation, and dissemination of programs including a social competency group for children with LDMH (Learning Disability Mental Health) named Integra Social ACES (Awareness, Competence, Engagement, Skills,), Integra Mindfulness Martial Arts and Integra Young Warriors. I have participated on committees and task groups pertaining to Learning Disabilities at the local, regional, provincial and national levels.
I also have an avid interest in clinical supervision. I was the first Director of the Psychology training clinic at Queen’s University. I have been a clinical supervisor with several clinical psychology programs (Queens, York, University of Toronto), have served on a task group with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, and was a co-founder of a provincial Supervision Community of Practice within the sector of children’s mental health.
Selected Recent Publications
Jones, J.K., Minnes, P. & Phillips, M. (currently in publication). Neurodevelopmental Disorders. In David J.A. Dozois (Ed.) Abnormal Psychology, 6th Edition. Pearson Canada.
Milligan, K. Sibalis, A., Phillips, M. & Morgan, A. (currently in publication). Social Competence. In J. Matson (Ed.) Handbook of Social Behavior and Skills in Children. Springer.
Milligan, K., Irwin, A., Wolfe-Miscio,M., Hamilton, L., Mintz, L., Cox, M., Gage, M., Woon,S. & Phillips, M. (Accepted for publication). Integrating Mindfulness into Mixed Martial Arts Training to Enhance Academic, Social, and Emotional Outcomes for At-Risk High School Students: a Qualitative Exploration. Contemporary School Psychology.
Klymkiw, D.F., Milligan, K. Lackner, C., Phillips, M. Schmidt,.L.,& Segalowitz, S.J. (2017) Does Anxiety Enhance or Hinder Attentional and Impulse Control in Youth With ADHD? An ERP Analysis. Journal of Attention Disorders, 1 –11.
Milligan, K., Wolfe-Miscio, M., Hamilton,L., Mintz,L., Cox, M., Gage, M., Woon, S., Irwin, A. & Phillips, M. (2016). Mindfulness Enhances Use of Secondary Control Strategies in High School Students at Risk for Mental Health Challenges. Mindfulness.
Milligan, K., Phillips, M. & Morgan, A. (2015). Tailoring Social Competence Interventions for Children with Learning Disabilities. Journal of Child and Family Studies. 25(3), 856-859
Affiliations and Appointments
- Clinical Supervisor, Ontario Institute for Studies In Education, University of Toronto (2008 to present)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, York University, Toronto ON (2007 to 2012)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON (1995 to 2007)
Select Committee Appointment Professional Memberships (within the last five years)
- Toronto region Children’s Service System Review & Consultation committee (2011 to 2017)
- Ontario Supervision Community of Practice (founding member, May 2016 to present)
- Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario Board of Directors (2012 to 2016)
- CMHO Accreditation working group (2011 to 2015)
- Learning Disabilities Association of Canada Diagnostic working group (2013 – 2014)
- Learning Disabilities Working Group, Ministry of Education (2011 to 2012)
- Student Support Leadership Initiative: Student Focused Working Group, MCYS (2011 to 2013)
- Ontario Psychological Association, professional member since 1993
- Canadian Psychological Association, professional member since 2004
- College of Psychologists of Ontario (Registered Dec 1993)
- Registration Committee (2016 to present)
- CPO provincial Supervision Task Force (Oct 2014 to Dec 2015)
- Examiner for Registration (2009 to present)
- Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (2009 to 2012)