The study of planets, moons, stars, and galaxies — as well as their origin, evolution, and how they interact with each other.
Astronomy is the oldest of the natural sciences — dating all the way back to the earliest recordings of history where civilizations such as the Greeks and Egyptians noted their observations of the night sky. So much of our modern life is based upon the works of ancient astronomers, from our yearly calendar to navigational systems. Study our vast universe, from subatomic particles to planets, stars, and galaxies, to the origin, evolution, and fate of the whole cosmos. Engage with professors who are using state-of-the-art satellites and telescopes to explore space, while you prepare for careers in astrophysics and space science.
Visit Waterloo’s main future student website for details on admissions, financing, housing, and more.
Meet us on a tour
Find out more about life as a Waterloo Physics and Astronomy student. Come in for a tour or to one of our open houses and you might even meet them in person!
This major is available in the co-op and regular stream of study
Explore other physics-related programs
- View the full list of upper year courses in the academic calendar.
- Learn more about co-op and how much you can earn on co-op work terms.
- See more in the science careers list.
- Apply via Physical Sciences on the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC)
- Learn more about the Bioinformatics Option