Discover how the world works by investigating the natural laws and processes of non-living matter.
Apply to Physical Sciences and choose one of these eight majors starting in first year, most of which offer co-op as well as regular streams.
Choose from eight majors
Earn a Bachelor of Science degree
Admission requirements for Physical Sciences majors
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Two of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Mathematics of Data Management, or Physics (Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, and/or Physics are recommended)
Admission averages: Low 80s
We recommend completing the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
Get tips from Waterloo students
Sign up for insider advice that can help you now and in the future. Topics include
- tips for a successful senior year of high school,
- how to choose a university program,
- differences between high school and university, and more.
First-year Physical Sciences courses
Most students take five courses per term, plus associated labs if applicable. Select your program of interest to see a list of first-year courses.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Co-op work/study sequences
Fall = September to December, Winter = January to April, Spring = May to August