Study the science of living things.
Interested in how living systems work and work together? Life Sciences at Waterloo will bring together many disciplines, like biology, chemistry, physics, and math to create a broad learning environment that will enable your success.
All programs are available through both the co-op and regular systems of study, except Biomedical Sciences, which is regular only.
About the Life Sciences program
Choose from 4 different majors within Life Sciences
Earn a Bachelor of Science in one of 4 majors
Admission requirements for majors within Life Sciences
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- 2 of: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Mathematics of Data Management, Physics (Biology, Chemistry, and/or Physics are recommended)
- Admission averages: Low 80s
- An Admission Information Form is recommended.
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
Most students take 5 courses per term, plus associated labs if applicable. Select your program of interest to see a list of first-year courses.
Gain relevant work experience through co-op
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Co-op work/study sequences
Fall = September to December, Winter = January to April, Spring = May to August