Deciding is difficult. So don't.
With so many different sciences to love, why limit yourself? Honours Science at Waterloo lets you keep your interests broad.
Take a range of courses in chemistry, biology, physics, earth sciences, and more in the most flexible program within the Faculty of Science. Because you don’t have to commit to a major, more than half of your courses are electives. Choose additional science courses, or take advantage of offerings from other faculties or departments across the university.
Once you graduate, an Honours Science degree gives you an excellent foundation for many science-related careers. It also makes it easy to meet the requirements for professional programs such as medicine, dentistry, optometry, and more.
Choose your own courses
In Waterloo’s most flexible science program, there’s only one restriction: six of your 10 courses each year must be science related. After that, it’s up to you!
Pick your science major later
If you end up falling in love with a particular subject in science, you can switch into a more specialized program at any time up to third year.
The Faculty of Science is an international leader in research
Available as a regular program only
State-of-the-art teaching labs located within our Science Teaching Complex
Honours Science admission requirements
Ontario students: six Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Two of Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Mathematics of Data Management, and Physics
Admission averages: Low 80s
We recommend completing the Admission Information Form once you've applied.
Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements.
Get tips from Waterloo students
Sign up for insider advice that can help you now and in the future. Topics include
- tips for a successful senior year of high school,
- how to choose a university program,
- differences between high school and university, and more.
September to December
- Two of:
- One Mathematics course
- Two electives
January to April
- ENGL 193/SPCOM 193 - Communication in the Sciences
- Two of:
- One Mathematics course
- One elective
After first year
- Most of the classes you’ll take will be Faculty of Science courses. With your remaining classes, you can choose electives from many of the 100 subject areas at Waterloo.
- View a list of all the courses required for your degree.
Apply directly to this program on your application
Offered by the Faculty of Science
Earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Honours Science
Customize your degree
You can add additional areas of expertise to your degree by including one or more of the minors available to all Waterloo students. Popular areas of focus for Honours Science students include Biology, Psychology, and Chemistry.
What can I do with an Honours Bachelor of Science degree?
With its flexible course selection, Honours Science leads to a wide variety of careers in fields such as health care and research, education, energy and oil, pharmaceuticals, environmental science and research, insurance, natural resources, and agriculture and food.
- Teacher - Halton District School Board
- Cardiac Ethnographer - University Health Network
- Coordinator Forests Without Borders - The Canadian Ecology Centre
- Environment, Health & Safety Advisor - Suncor Energy Products Inc.
- Food Processing Specialist - Maple Leaf Consumer Foods
- Industrial Hygienist - Petro-Canada
- Lab Technologist - Stratford General Hospital
Learn about the future of careers in science.