Grab your lab coat and get ready to create real magic.
Learn to how to turn fuel into energy, waste into resources, and raw material into finished products in one of the largest chemical engineering departments in Canada.
You’ll develop expertise in chemistry and materials science — plus you’ll learn the systems analysis skills to design, implement, and manage processes from start to finish.
You’ll put that knowledge to work during your 6 co-op terms: creating an impressive résumé, exploring different career areas, and earning money to help pay for your education.
When you graduate, you’ll find no shortage of career options in pharmaceuticals, pulp and paper, mining, oil and gas, food processing, health care, automotive, and more.
Hone your lab skills
Learn how to conduct investigations in the areas of fluid mechanics, bioseparations, and electrochemistry using our hands-on labs.
Make new friends
Waterloo’s Engineering Society organizes everything from board game nights and free movies to charity grilled cheese lunches and yoga lessons.
About Chemical Engineering
Gain 2 years of experience in the co-op program
Apply directly to this program on your application
Earn a Bachelor of Applied Science degree
Engineering school in Canada (US News & World Report 2018)
Offered through the Faculty of Engineering
Students earn $17,800 on average per co-op term
- Ontario students: 6 Grade 12 U and/or M courses including
- Advanced Functions (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Calculus and Vectors (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Chemistry (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Physics (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- English (ENG4U) (minimum final grade of 70% is required)
- Admission averages: Individual selection from the low 90s
- An Admission Information Form is required
- Not studying in Ontario? Search our admission requirements database
September to December
January to April or May to August
CHE 101 - Chemical Engineering Concepts 2
CHE 121 - Engineering Computation
CHE 161 - Engineering Biology
GENE 123 - Electrical Circuits and Instrumentation
MATH 118 - Calculus 2 for Engineering
1 Complementary Studies Elective
After first year
- See the range of courses available in Chemical Engineering.
- View all the courses required for your degree.
Sample upper-year courses
By alternating school terms and paid co-op work terms throughout your degree, you can explore new career areas and types of employers as your career interests evolve.
Sample co-op positions
- Process Engineering Intern, Suncor Energy
- Environmental Engineering, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited
- Research Assistant, University of Waterloo
- Extraction Process Engineering, Suncor Energy
- Business Process Manager, K.I. Abdulkadir & Partners Co Ltd
Careers in Chemical Engineering
- Drilling Engineer, Husky Energy
- Polymer Engineer, Kingspan Insulated Panels
- Area Leader/Process Engineer, Proctor & Gamble
- Chemical Engineer, NOVA Chemicals
- Founder, Kiwi Wearables
- Metallurgist, Goldcorp
- Project Development Engineer, Shell Canada
Possible professional designation
- Visit the Chemical Engineering website