(This information is to be used in conjunction with the University undergraduate calendar which in all cases is the final authority.)
HRM Minor Downloadable Checklist (PDF)
The Human Resources Management Minor requires successful completion of a minimum of four academic course units (eight courses) with a minimum cumulative average of 70%, including:
- AFM 123*/ARBUS 102*, or both of AFM 101 and 102
- HRM 200*
- at least two of PSYCH 238*, 339*, 340*
- at least three of HRM 301*, 303*, 305*, 307*
- HRM 400
- PSYCH 439
- PSYCH 467
- one of PACS 202/LS 271; MSCI 311
CHRL/CHRP designation: The courses with asterisks (*) have been approved by the Human Resources Professionals Association (HRPA) towards the Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) / Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designations. Details regarding the CHRL/CHRP designations, including course work requirements, may be found on the HRPA website. Upon successful completion of the nine required courses, students are eligible to write the Comprehensive Knowledge Exam. The HRPA requires an average of 70% in the nine required courses with no individual course achieving lower than 65%. Each course expires 10 years after completion. Note that Psych 340 was approved by the HRPA effective Fall 2006 (the Fall 2005 offering was not approved).
- Please refer to the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar for the Faculty of Arts for details regarding the residency requirement.
- Please check the prerequisites for the courses listed above.
- Students are encouraged to complete HRM 200 before enrolling in PSYCH 339 or PSYCH 340. Note that second year students are given priority enrolment in HRM 200.
- Students who have completed a Diploma in Human Resources Management or the course requirements for the Certified Human Resources Leader (CHRL) / Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation, are precluded from enrolling in the Human Resources Management Minor or Diploma at Waterloo.
- Students interested in pursuing the CHRL/CHRP designation are advised to review the CHRL/CHRP requirements and consult with the HRM program advisor before finalizing their HRM course selections.
- PSYCH 338 has been renumbered to PSYCH 238 as of Fall 2016. Either course code will count towards the Psych minor and the CHRL/CHRP designation.
No exceptions to the above requirements will be made without prior written approval of the HRM Academic Advisor.
Plan average: All of the above courses are included in the HRM average calculation regardless of whether any of these courses is in excess of the minimum required. See the Academic Standing Definition for further details.
Double/Triple counting: Please refer to the Double-counting of courses details in the Undergraduate Studies Academic Calendar for the Faculty of Arts.
It is solely the responsibility of students to ensure that they are properly registered and meet course requirements and the requirements of the program for which they are registered. All students should review the Undergraduate Calendar, the relevant program requirements, and course information carefully.