Education: BSc (McMaster), MA (Guelph), Ph.D. (Maryland)
I am interested in (a) the role of early temperament on children’s social development, (b) affective and cognitive influences on self-regulation in typically- and atypically-developing children, and (c) developmental psychophysiology.
Selected recent publications
- Henderson, H. A., Ono, K. E., McMahon, C., Schwartz, C. B., Usher, L., & Mundy, P. C. (in press). The costs and benefits of self-monitoring for higher functioning children and adolescents with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- McMahon, C., & Henderson, H. A. (in press). Error-monitoring in response to social stimuli in individuals with higher functioning autism spectrum disorder. Developmental Science.
- Webb, S. J., Bernier, R., Henderson, H. A., Johnson, M. H., Jones, E. J. H., Lerner, M. D., McPartland, J. C., Nelson, C. A., Rojas, D., Townsend, J., & Westerfield, M. (in press). Guidelines and best practices for electrophysiological data collection, analysis and reporting in autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- Lamm, C., Walker, O. L., Degnan, K. A., Henderson, H. A., Pine, D. S., McDermott, J. M., & Fox, N. A. (in press). Cognitive control moderates early childhood temperament in predicting social behavior in seven year old children: An ERP study. Developmental Science.
- Walker, O. L., Henderson, H. A., Degnan, K. A., Penela, E., & Fox, N A. (in press). Associations between behavioral inhibition and children’s social problem solving behavior during social exclusion. Social Development.
- Henderson, H. A., & Mundy, P. C. (2013). The integration of self and other in the development of self-regulation: Typical and atypical processes. In K. Caplovitz Barrett, N.A. Fox, G.A. Morgan, D. Fidler, & L. Daunhauer (Eds.), Handbook of Self-Regulatory Processes in Development: New Directions and International Perspectives (pp. 113-134). New York: Routledge.
- Walker, O. L., Degnan, K. A., & Fox, N. A., Henderson, H. A. (2013). Social problem solving skills in early childhood: Developmental change and the influence of temperament. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 34, 185-193.
- Henderson, H. A., Ono, K. E., & Schwartz, C. B. (2012). Temperament. In F. R. Volkmar (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Autism Spectrum Disorders. New York: Springer.
- Walker, O. L. & Henderson, H. A. (2012). Temperament and social problem solving competence in preschool: Influences on academic skills in early elementary school. Social Development, 21, 761-779.
- Penela, E. C., Henderson, H. A., Hane, H. A., Ghera, M., Fox, N. A. (2012). Maternal caregiving moderates the relation between infant distress and socioemotional development. Infancy, 17, 715-730.
- Vitiello, V. E., Moas, O. L., Henderson, H. A., Greenfield, D. B., & Munis, P. M. (2012). Goodness-of-fit between children and classrooms: Effects of child temperament and preschool classroom quality on achievement trajectories. Early Education and Development, 23, 302-322.
- Burnette, C.P., Henderson, H. A., Inge, A. P., Zahka, N., Schwartz, C., & Mundy, P. C. (2011). Anterior EEG asymmetry and the modifier model of autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 41, 1113-1124.
- Hileman, C., Henderson, H. A., Mundy, P. C., Newell, L., & Jaime, M. (2011). Developmental and individual differences on the P1 and N170 ERP components in children with and without autism. Developmental Neuropsychology, 36, 214-236.
- White, L., K., McDermott, J. M., Degnan, K. A., Henderson, H. A., Fox, N. A. (2011). Behavioral inhibition and anxiety: The moderating roles of inhibitory control and attention shifting. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 39, 735-747.
- Henderson, H. A. (2010). Electrophysiological correlates of cognitive control and the regulation of shyness in children. Developmental Neuropsychology, 35, 177-193.
- Mundy, P., Gwaltney, M., Henderson, H. A. (2010). Self-referenced processing, neurodevelopment and joint attention in autism. Autism, 14, 408-429.
- Henderson, H. A., Zahka, N. E., Kojkowski, N. M., Inge, A. P., Schwartz, C. B., Hileman, C. M., Coman, D. C., & Mundy, P. C. (2009). Self-referenced memory, social cognition, and symptom presentation in autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 50, 853-861.
- Schwartz, C. B., Henderson, H. A., Inge, A. P., Zahka, N. E., Coman, D. C., Kojkowski, N. M., Hileman, C. M., & Mundy, P. (2009). Temperament as a predictor of symptomotology and adaptive functioning in adolescents with high functioning autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 39, 842-855.