Waterloo's eight strategic plan theme leaders, supported by our six Faculties, support units, and students, staff and alumni, implemented the 2013-2018 Strategic Plan. Note: Until the launch of our new plan, the existing strategic plan will remain in place. Working together, theme leads built on synergies across key initiatives to ensure a fully integrative approach to implementation.
Under the direction of the Provost, Institutional Analysis and Planning created an overall process and implementation plan to support theme leads in bringing to life Waterloo's Strategic Plan, this included:
- an annual process for theme leads to develop individual theme action plans
- an overall implementation plan
- an annual reporting and accountability process
A theme-based approach
Within the broad implementation plan, each theme was responsible for their own planning process. Working together with scores of University stakeholders — students, faculty, staff, alumni and more — each theme area:
- developed a theme-specific implementation plan
- identified and implemented strategic initiatives to achieve the goals and objectives set out in the 2013-2018 Strategic Plan.
Implementation plans by theme
- Experiential education for all
- Uniquely entrepreneurial university
- Transformational research
- Outstanding academic programming
- Global prominence and internationalization
- Vibrant student experience
- Robust employer-employee relationship
- Sound value system
Theme lead action was supported by the efforts of our six Faculties, particularly in the transformational research and academic programming themes. Each of the Faculties have their own Strategic Plans which tie together strategic efforts across the University's diverse communities. Visit each of our six Faculties to learn more about their efforts.
Planning for accountability
A cornerstone of Waterloo’s 2013-2018 implementation efforts was measuring and reporting our progress. The accountability framework that complemented this plan was the responsibility of the Provost, supported by Institutional Analysis and Planning.
Learn more about the implementation process
The implementation process continued throughout the period of the strategic plan and will continue to be implemented until the launch of the 2020-2025 Strategic Plan. For more information about the 2013-2018 Strategic Plan implementation and planning process, contact Institutional Analysis and Planning.