Depending on the length of your appointment, your compensation package includes a University pension plan, health and dental coverage, and life insurance.
A Pension and Benefits Committee liaison sits on the FAUW Board of Directors to keep FAUW updated. They also submit a report at each FAUW general meeting.
Where to find information
- NEW: Human Resources' Employee Benefits Program booklet (PDF)
- Policy 23 – Eligibility for Pension and Insured Benefits
- The Pension and Benefits Committee section of the Secretariat website.
- More on benefits:
- The Groupnet website or app for benefits coverage details.
- The Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Policy 24 – Tuition Benefit for Children of Faculty and Staff
- Policy 4 – Benefits to Faculty and Staff Undertaking Part-time Educational Programs
What you need to know
Who’s eligible. Employees with appointment of at least one year are eligible for the health and life insurance plans. Employees with appointments of two years or more are also eligible for the pension and dental plans. Find more details in Policy 23.
What kind of pension plan we have. The University of Waterloo pension plan is a defined benefit plan, which means the amount of your pension is not impacted by the pension fund’s market performance.
What the P&B Committee does. The Pension and Benefits Committee is responsible for the design and modification of both the pension and benefits programs.
Pension & Benefits Committee meetings are open to staff and faculty members and much information about their work is public. Meeting dates, committee membership, and a range of reports and other documents are available on the Pension & Benefits Committee page on the Secretariat website.
- What EFAP is. The Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is a new program that provides, among other things, confidential telephone, in-person, and online counselling services to faculty and their families.
Who to talk to
Use the benefits. Become aware of what is actually covered, and claim the benefits to which you are entitled.