Employers and educators recognize the value of a Waterloo degree. You'll be set for a successful career or to pursue further specialized education.
With a long track record of turning ideas into action, Waterloo has been named Canada's most innovative university for the past 24 years in the Maclean's rankings of Canadian universities.
Waterloo also ranked:
- Best overall university: 4th
- Best source of leaders of tomorrow: 4th
- Highest quality: 4th
Programs rank among the best in Canada
A highly-respected degree can open doors for your career or further education. The 2016 Maclean's University Rankings rated the reputation of university programs (mostly in the sciences) and Waterloo excelled.
- 1st in Canada for engineering (tie)
- 1st for math and computer science (tie)
- 2nd for environmental science
- 2nd for psychology (tie)
- 8th for business
#1 among Canada's comprehensive universities
Among universities with significant research, undergraduate and graduate programs, and professional schools, Maclean's ranks Waterloo:
- Reputation: 1st
- Percent of operating costs devoted to scholarships/bursaries: 1st
- Number of professors who win national awards: 1st
- Total research dollars: 2nd
- Number of students who have won national awards: 3rd
Waterloo is different, it’s got this amazing university which has long been one of our top three recruiting universities for Google as a whole, worldwide.
- Steven Woods, Senior Engineering Director, Google
#1 in Canada for career preparation
In the Globe and Mail University Report and the Maclean's 2016 University Rankings, Waterloo students ranked us #1 for career preparation among Canada's large universities.
Our students also give us a grade of
- A+ for reputation among employers
- A for co-op/internships
- A- for information technology
- A- for quality of teaching and learning
The engineering experience and talent… in Waterloo is the best of the best.
- Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter
For the 8th year in a row, Waterloo is ranked Canada's #1 comprehensive research university in the Canada Top 50 Research Universities survey.
This makes Waterloo one of the best places in the country for learning about leading-edge discoveries directly from the people who are making them: your professors.
What’s happening here in Waterloo is truly special, from theory to experiment and beyond.
- Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist
- For 2016, Waterloo ranks among the top 180 in the world (out of 16,000 universities)
QS World University Rankings 2015
- top 170 universities in the world (2014/15)
- top 50 for Computer Science, Geography, Mathematics
- top 100 for Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, Psychology and Sociology, Statistics and Operational Research
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2015
- top 50 in the world for Engineering
- top 100 in the world for Computer Science
- top 150 in the world for Chemistry
- top 200 in the world for Mathematics, Economics/Business, and Social Sciences
2015 India – Youth Inc. Global University Ranking
- In a survey of 1,600 institutions, Waterloo ranked as the #17 best overall university in the 2015 India – Youth Inc. Global University Ranking, published by the Times of India.