Employers and educators recognize the value of a Waterloo degree. A highly-respected degree can open doors for your career or further education.
In the Maclean's 2016 national rankings of Canadian universities, Waterloo ranked:
- Most innovative: 1st
- Best overall university: 4th
- Source of leaders of tomorrow: 4th
- Highest quality: 4th
Maclean's ranks programs among the best in Canada
Waterloo excelled in the 2016 Maclean's University Rankings which rated the reputation of university programs (mostly in the sciences).
- 1st in Canada for engineering (tie)
- 1st for math and computer science (tie)
- 2nd for environmental science
- 2nd for psychology (tie)
- 8th for business
Waterloo is different, it’s got this amazing university which has long been one of our top three recruiting universities for Google as a whole, worldwide.
- Steven Woods, Senior Engineering Director, Google
#1 for career preparation
In the Globe and Mail University Report and the Maclean's 2016 University Rankings, Waterloo students ranked us #1 for career preparation among Canada's large universities. Our students also give us a grade of:
- A+ for reputation among employers
- A for co-op/internships
- A- for quality of teaching and learning
The engineering experience and talent… in Waterloo is the best of the best.
- Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016
- Overall, Waterloo ranks among the top 180 universities in the world.
QS World University Rankings 2016
- ranked 152nd overall in the world
- 26th in the world for Computer Science
- 29th in the world for Mathematics
- 45th in the world for Geography
- ranked in the world's top 100 for:
- Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Sciences
- Materials Science (e.g., Materials and Nanosciences)
- Development Studies (e.g., International Development, Geography and Environmental Management)
- Statistics and Operational Research
- Waterloo again ranked in the top three in Canada for five subjects and in Canada’s top five in 13 subjects.
U.S. News & World Report Best Global Universities 2016
- 19th in the world for Computer Science
- 47th in the world for Engineering
- 110th in the world for Mathematics
- 125th for global research reputation
Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2015
- top 50 in the world for Engineering overall
- top 100 in the world for Computer Science
- top 150 in the world for Chemistry
- top 200 in the world for Mathematics, Economics/Business, and Social Sciences
- ARWU ranking of Engineering disciplines (2016)
- first in Canada for Energy Science and Engineering
- second in Canada for Chemical, Civil, Electrical and Electronic, Materials Science, and Mechanical Engineering
Learn about leading-edge discoveries from the people who are making them: your professors
For 8 years in a row, Waterloo has ranked as Canada's #1 comprehensive research university.
This means that your professors will use the latest research in your classes to make sure your education is the best it can be.
What’s happening here in Waterloo is truly special, from theory to experiment and beyond.
- Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist
India – Youth Inc. Global University Ranking 2015
- In a survey of 1,600 institutions, Waterloo ranked as the #17 best overall university in the 2015 India – Youth Inc. Global University Ranking, published by the Times of India.