Degree: Honours Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Biochemistry
Departments: Joint with Biology and Chemistry
Systems of study available: regular or co-op
Length: 4 years (regular), 5 years (co-op — includes both study and work terms)
- Spanning a broad area of science, biochemistry appeals to those who like to understand how life works.
- If you're interested in an expanding field with almost unlimited potential for enriching our quality of life, biochemistry offers the opportunity for a fulfilling and rewarding career.
- Concentrated biology and chemistry courses along with extensive lab experience will prepare you for a career in forensic science,
pharmaceuticals, medical diagnostics and analysis, agriculture, biochemical research, microbiology, biotechnology, or genetic
Beginning in first year, you'll have access to a large number and variety of state-of-the-art labs. Informal seminars and research lab tours can keep you current with the latest research being conducted by your professors.
|fall term||winter term|
View the full list of upper year courses in the Academic Calendar.
Beyond the classroom
Chemical synthesis, virology, enzymology, and microbiology are just a few of the areas of study available to you, providing you with opportunities to work on interesting and practical projects. You'll learn scientific methods specific to biochemistry through hands-on labs common to most courses. Modern equipment will give you experience in analytical techniques like chromatography, electrophoresis, and nuclear magnetic resonance. If you choose to add the Biotechnology specialization to your program, you can explore biological and biochemical processes used to make new products, including novel drugs to treat disease.
Minors add additional areas of expertise to your degree. View a complete list of minors. Choose minors within Science or even in other faculties. Some restrictions may apply depending on your program.
Co-operative education (co-op)
Biochemistry is available as a co-op system of study. You'll need to indicate if you choose co-op when you apply.
- Forensics Technician, Canada Customs And Revenue Agency
- Research Assistant, Harvard University
- Biopolymer Technician, Dalton Chemical Laboratories Inc.
- Viral Lab Research Assistant, Health & Welfare Canada Communications
- Organic Synthetic Chemist, Torcan Chemical Ltd.
- Biotechnology Researcher, National Research Council
Biochemists work in medical, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology research facilities; forensics; food and agriculture industries; and many other diverse areas.
What our grads are doing now
DNA Forensic Technologist, The Centre for Forensic Sciences
Microbiologist, Novocol Pharmaceutical of Canada Inc.
Regulatory Affairs Officer, Procter & Gamble
Toxicologist, Environment Canada
Product Development Chemist, 3M of Canada Ltd.
- Apply via Life Sciences on the Ontario Universities' Application Centre (OUAC).
- Visit Waterloo’s main future student website for details on admissions, financing, housing, and more.