Waterloo Residences acknowledges that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometers on each side of the Grand River.
Consider your options and alternatives
From time to time, we understand it may become necessary for students to consider cancelling their contract or withdrawing from residence.
Before this happens, students are strongly advised to meet with their community's Residence Life Co-ordinator (RLC) or Community Coordinator (CC). The RLC or CC can provide options, resources, and referrals to assist students in their decision-making process. This includes information on how to go through the Accessible Housing process in the case of students that may require an accommodation due to a medical, sensory, physical, environmental, psychological, allergy/dietary restrictions, or mental health conditions.
If you wish to cancel your contract or withdraw from residence, please submit a withdrawal/cancellation form. Be sure to review your specific residence contract for applicable withdrawal fees before submitting your request.
This means—should you choose to cancel your contract—you will be required to pay your full residence fees. We encourage you to review your specific residence contract for applicable withdrawal fees before submitting your request.
How to withdraw or cancel your residence contract
1. Submit the withdrawal/cancellation form and indicate a potential move out date and share why you are leaving residence.
2. Move your belongings out of residence and return your keys to the front desk of your residence community.
Please note that for every day you have your belongings in residence and/or have your residence key, you are financially responsible for residence.
3. Once we receive notification that you have moved out and your keys have been returned, we will process your cancellation or withdrawal using the key drop off date as your official move out date. You will receive an email to your UWaterloo email indicating that your withdrawal/cancellation has been processed.
4. If you would like to seek financial relief for a residence credit, please determine if a contract appeal or replacement is appropriate.
Students can find relief to this financial responsibility by:
- Submitting an Appeal
- Find a contract replacement
- Academically withdrawing from the University (only available for students for fall 2019 and in future terms) Students that are academically withdrawing will be relieved of their prorated residence fees once Quest status reflects their withdrawn student status.
- Waterloo Residences is 100% occupied
If Waterloo Residences reaches 100% occupancy for the term you have withdrawn from, you will be notified by the Housing department.