To act as a resource to the UW academic community to enhance instructional practices and deepen student learning; inform its practice through using and engaging in pedagogical research; and contribute expertise to the broader external discussion on post-secondary education. (Provided by: Mario Coniglio, AVP-A, October, 2014)
To achieve our mission, we:
support exploration, integration, and evaluation of different approaches to teaching and learning
listen to, question, encourage, and celebrate Waterloo’s teachers
create dialogue around teaching and learning
anticipate and address evolving issues and opportunities within higher education
offer expertise locally, nationally, and internationally
Provide cross-disciplinary, institution-wide events and programs
Support instructional and curriculum development for individuals, departments, and faculties
Foster leadership in teaching development
Promote and conduct research on teaching, learning, and educational development
Communicate best practices and promote the importance of teaching and learning at Waterloo
Connect with and contribute expertise to colleagues on and off campus.
Engage in individual and centre-wide professional development and operational activities
Strategic Priorities (May 1, 2018-April 30, 2021):
- Promote and support deep and active learning within and across disciplines through high-impact practices, educational technologies, and research on teaching and learning.
- Provide support to develop and integrate evidence-based practices for assessing learning outcomes at the course and program level.
- Support our diverse campus community by promoting and modelling inclusive educational practices.
- Participate in the development and implementation of institution-wide teaching and learning initiatives related to the university strategic plan.
- Enhance the internal and external communication of the profile and scope of CTE’s supports and services.
Institutional planning and initiatives
Our Strategic Plan is informed and shaped by: