The Amit & Meena Chakma Award for Exceptional Teaching by a Student (AETS) awards are open to all students who have a formal teaching role at the University of Waterloo. Up to four awards are given annually in recognition of excellence in teaching of all kinds by registered students (e.g., teaching assistant, laboratory demonstrator, sessional lecturer). The Selection Committee considers intellectual vigour and communication skills in the interpretation and presentation of subject matter. Concern for and sensitivity to the academic need of the students is an important criterion.
Award: Each award consists of:
- Approximately $1,000.00
- A certificate.
Congratulations to the 2022 recipients of the AETS!
- Justin Shmordok, Department of Chemistry
- Sanaz Saadatmand Hashemi, Department of Systems Design Engineering
- Urja Nandivada, Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Urszula Pasterkiewicz, School of Public Health Sciences
How to nominate a student
To be considered for the award, a nominee must be endorsed by at least five individuals, including present and past students of the nominee, and present and past faculty supervisors of the nominee. A minimum of three of the individuals endorsing the nominee must be past or present students of the nominee.
Deadline: The nomination deadline is the first Friday in February. Committee deliberations take place in February/March.
Selection Committee: Appointed by Senate, membership comprises:
- three undergraduate students
- two graduate students
- two members of Faculty (including the Teaching Resource Person)
- Associate Provost of Graduate Studies (Chair)
Past winners of the Amit & Meena Chakma Award for Exceptional Teaching by a Student.