Through workshops, small-group practice microteaching sessions, classroom observations, and more, the Centre for Teaching Excellence supports graduate students at the University of Waterloo as they prepare for their teaching roles.
Graduate students who participate in our programs report that they develop confidence in their roles as Teaching Assistants (TAs) and instructors and feel better prepared for university teaching.
Any University of Waterloo graduate student can attend individual workshops or enrol in one of our certificate programs:
- Fundamentals of University Teaching
- Certificate in University Teaching
- Certificate in University Language Teaching
Our additional resources for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows include:
- Workshops each term for International Teaching Assistants who are new to teaching in Canada
- A week-long Teaching Development Seminar Series for postdoctoral fellows
- CTE's TA Manual (PDF), which contains resources, policies, strategies, and suggestions for Teaching Assistants
- Consultations with graduate students and postdoctoral fellows preparing their teaching dossiers or statements of teaching philosophy for academic jobs. To schedule a consultation, email Dr. Stephanie White