Get Help Now!

Do you need urgent help? Are you in crisis, feeling unsafe, or worried you might hurt yourself or others? If you are experiencing a life-threatening issue, please call 911, or contact the Campus Special Constable Service (519) 888-4911 ext. 22222

Man sitting with hands on his head

Asking for help is often an act of extreme bravery. We are glad you are taking steps to access the support you need and deserve.

There are numerous resources available both on-campus and in the community. If you are uncertain which resources would be the best fit for you, you can find more information on our Self-Screening and Mental Health pages. Also, feel free to connect with the wellness contact in your department or the Community Wellness Team. We can help you find what you need. 

Mental Health Facts

According to the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)

  • Mental health and mental illness are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.
  • "Mental health” is a concept similar to “physical health”: it refers to a state of well-being. Mental health includes our emotions, feelings of connection to others, our thoughts and feelings, and being able to manage life’s highs and lows.
  • Mental illness indirectly affects all Canadians at some time either through their own experience, or that of a family member, friend or colleague.
  • In any given year, 1 in 5 people in Canada will personally experience a mental health problem or illness.
  • Approximately 70% of mental illness onset between ages 14-25.
  • By age 40, about 50% of the population will have or have had a mental illness.

For additional facts about  mental health, the CMHA website

We got you. It can be challenging to find the resources we need, especially when we are feeling overwhelmed or are in distress. The Community Wellness Team has gathered a variety of resources to help you find the support you need.

Students - On-campus Wellness Resources

Counselling Services

Counselling Services is a team of professionals that provide programming and services to assist students with leading a healthy and balanced life. They strive to provide a secure, supportive environment for students of all orientations and backgrounds. Please refer to the Campus Wellness News page for service delivery updates related to COVID-19.
Some services they offer include:
  • Individual appointments: Same day appointments for students at immediate risk and scheduled appointments with counsellors.
  • Walk-in appointments: Walk-in appointments can be up to 90-minutes long and you can discuss any immediate concerns that you have and find a solution-focused approach to help. Students new to Counselling Services or students who have been seen before are welcome to use these appointments.
  • Seminars and workshops: Running every term. Topics include mindfulness, depression, anxiety, stress, and resiliency.
  • Group Therapy: Available for a number of issues including anxiety, depression, and managing overwhelming emotions.
  • Peer Health Education Team: A program that promotes positive health behaviours and lifestyle choices to support physical and mental wellness and academic success. 
  • How to Help a Friend: Helpful tips for how to support your friends in need. 
  • Mental Health Topics and Links: Additional resources and references from Campus Wellness. 
  • Campus Wellness Blog: Relevant and useful posts to support your wellbeing throughout your studies. 

Needles Hall Location – 2nd Floor, Needles Hall North (519-888-4096)
Engineering Undergraduate Office Location – E2-1772 (519-888-4096)


IMPACT (Integrated Mobile Police and Crisis Team) After hours mental health support available, Thurs-Sun 3:00pm to Midnight (519-888-4911)

Empower Me Student Care

Empower  Me provides mental health support 24/7,365 days a  year anywhere in Canada or the US. Call 1-833-628-5589 (toll-free). Multiple languages are available.

Health Services

Health Services provides convenient, confidential and comprehensive medical care to all registered students at Waterloo. They work in coordination with other health-related services on campus and in the Kitchener-Waterloo community. Please refer to the Campus Wellness News page for service delivery updates related to COVID-19.

Some services they offer include:

  • Student Medical Clinic: The Student Medical Clinic offers health care visits with both male and female doctors and nurses. See website for hours of operation:
  • Travel Clinic: Whether you’re travelling for school or leisure, you want the right medical advice for your destination, activities, and health status. The travel experts at Health Services are physicians and nurses who offer complete pre and post-travel consultations to ensure a safe trip and problem-free return.
  • Nutrition Services: Eating balanced meals at regular times is vital for both physical and mental wellbeing. Nutrition Services provides online resources to help students with healthy eating strategies and offers guidance on planning and preparing easy, affordable meals. Registered dietitian on staff for those referred by a Health Services Physician!
  • StudentCare Health Care Coverage: 
    • Up to $4,000 for services provided by health care professionals, including…
      • Mental health practitioners, massage therapists, chiropractors, physiotherapists, and many more
    • 80% of prescription drugs costs covered with up to $12,500 to spend (per policy year: Sept. 1, 2021 – August 31, 2022.)
    • For further details, please see StudentCare Health Coverage Website

Health Services contact number – 519-888-4096

Student Health Pharmacy

The university also has a Student Health Pharmacy on campus at the Student Life Centre (SLC) Building basement. Available to all students (undergraduate and graduate), employees, alumni, and family members. Call (519) 746-4500 or visit them during their hours of operation from Monday to Friday - 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM.

  • The Student Health Pharmacy is now offering COVID booster shots (Pfizer and Moderna) and flu shots! Call 519-746-4500 ext 33784 for an appointment. Walk-ins always welcome.

AccessAbility Services (AAS)

AccessAbility Services (AAS) assists with providing additional academic accommodations to students who experience functional limitations (such as mental health impacts) all the way to temporary or permanent disabilities – and anywhere in-between. AAS Staff will design and facilitate your academic accommodation plan by removing barriers and building your capacity for personal success. They work with you, your instructor, and others to ensure your accommodation plan is successfully implemented.

If you’re unsure if your particular situation warrants an accommodation, meet with them anyways! They are happy to discuss your circumstances and supports to assist you throughout your studies.

1st Floor, Needles Hall North, Room 1401  (519-888-4567 ext. 35082) - Access Email

Student Medical Insurance and Health & Benefit Plan

Full-time undergraduate students who are enrolled in 1.5 on-campus credits, undergraduate co-op students on an officially recognized work term, and graduate students on a study term are automatically enrolled in the WUSA/GSA Health and Dental Plan

For information regarding the health and dental plan, visit Student Care, call 1-866-369-8794, or visit the Finance website. The plan provides extended health care coverage for important services not covered by your basic health plan, such as prescription drugs, vision care, dental care, travel health coverage, private (off-campus) counselling services, and more. The Health and Dental Plan office is located in Health Services, room 1006.

Information about the new OHIP+ program is available on the StudentCare website.

International students are covered under the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). You can find more information about health insurance coverage on the Student Medical Insurance webpage.

Employee - Wellness Resources

University of Waterloo Employee and Family Assistance Program

The Employee and Family Assistance Program, delivered through Homewood Health Inc., provides employees of the University of Waterloo and their dependent family members with a range of health and wellness services. The program is a complement to the current benefits program, at no additional cost to employees.

Homewood Health offers short-term, confidential counselling that includes face-to-face (flexible hours), telephone or online sessions for a variety of needs. The program also includes Life Smart Coaching and other online services including e-learning sessions and resource location services. Your private information, including whether you or your dependents have accessed the program, is never shared with family members or the University. Find out more about Homewood Health's services.

What to expect when you contact Homewood:

You can contact Homewood Health directly by calling the phone numbers below, or visiting their website.

  • 1.800.663.1142 (English)
  • 1.866.398.9505 (French)
  • 1.888.384.1152 (TTY)
  • 604-689-1717 International (call collect)

When you call, you or your family member will be connected with an Intake Coordinator. Homewood offers many services for a variety of issues in situations. In order to connect you with the best counsellor or coach for you and your situation, the Intake Coordinator will ask you a number of questions.

Homewood Health also has an online wellness platform with information and resources. For more information visit Homeweb.

Employee Extended Health Care Benefit

The University has an agreement with GreenShield to provided extended health care benefits including dental care and a variety of services including private counselling.

On any occasion when a significant expense is expected, covered individuals are encouraged to submit a cost estimate or predetermination/treatment plan to GreenShield beforehand. This can be done by having the practitioner provide a predetermination of benefits. Pre-determination forms are available through your GSC everywhere account and GreenShield Customer Support Centre. Annual benefit maximums are outlined on the Annual benefit maximum page.

To find out what is covered under your benefit contract, or for any issues with claim payments, please contact GreenShield directly or login to your GSC everywhereaccount. 

How to contact GreenShield: 

Faculty Association

The Faculty Association of the University of Waterloo (FAUW) works to ensure collegiality, inclusivity, diversity, and academic freedom for 1,370 faculty members at Waterloo.

Founded in 1957, the Faculty Association of the University of Waterloo (FAUW) is the official representative of the bargaining unit that includes all “regular faculty” at the University of Waterloo who hold definite term, probationary, tenured, or continuing appointments (as set out in Policy 76 – Faculty Appointments).

Their purpose is to represent and defend the interests of our members. They do this by negotiating our working conditions, advocating for member rights, and connecting with faculty members across campus and the country.

Become a FAUW member

  • Joining gives you voting rights in our elections, at general meetings, and on Memorandum of Agreement changes, and allows you to add to the diversity of voices on our Board of Directors, Council of Representatives, and committees. You do not need to join in order to access FAUW services or attend events other than general meetings.

Off-campus support

Where are you? You can find crisis support and assistance where ever you are:

  • Waterloo Region: contains a list of off-campus resources and support for those living in Waterloo Region
  • Campus Wellness After Hours and Emergency Support: contains a list of resources in Waterloo Region and across Canada.
  • Cambridge: contains a list of resources to support those on our Cambridge campus
  • National and Provincial: contains a list of resources and supports for those who are in Canada, but outside of Waterloo Region and Cambridge on co-op, vacation, or visiting family and friends.
  • International: contains a list of international hotlines to support students who are outside of Canada on exchange, international co-ops, vacation, or visiting family and friends.
  • Specialized crisis support: contains a list of supports for specific issues and populations, such as racism, sexual assault, substance use, gender identity, indigenous persons, etc.

Not sure what you need?

No problem, we have a number of resources that can assist you:

  • Start by identifying the type of assistance you need, urgent/immediate or non-urgent (can wait a couple of days). You can find more information on the How Do I Know What I Need? page.
  • If you need urgent/emergency support, please dial 911, go to the nearest hospital emergency room, or contact one of the crisis supports listed in the resources above.
  • If you are looking for immediate or non-urgent support, you can find as list of resources on our Non-Urgent Resources page.
  • If you are concerned about yourself and would like more information, you can take one of the self-screen tests on the Self-screen Tools, or the Types of Mental Health Conditions pages. (please note: self-screening tools are not intended for diagnoses purposes).
  • If you are looking for information on the types of mental health conditions facing our students, you will find it on the Types of Mental Health Conditions page (please note, this is not an exhaustive list of conditions).
  • If you are unsure which type of mental health practitioner is right for you, you can find and overview on the Types of Mental Health Practitioners page.