Future UWaterloo students
If you are not a current UWaterloo student, please refer to the how to apply page under future undergraduates for information on the application procedures and requirements.
Current UWaterloo students
If you are a first-year Arts Student please consult the Declare your Major website and follow the guidelines.
If you are interested in studying French and meet the requirements listed below, please complete a Plan Modification Form and bring it to the French Studies Undergraduate Program Coordinator in ML 333.
Did you know that when you apply for the French Teaching Specialization or Intensive French and Francophone Literatures and Cultures Specialization, you may be eligible for a $3000 Bursary ? Reach out to the French Studies Advisor for details on whether you qualify, and how to apply!
For a full list of degree and program requirements, please see the Arts Undergraduate Calendar.
Please consult the Digital Tracking Checklist for French Honours and specializations.
To apply for admission into French plans, you must meet the following requirements:
- You have already completed at least 10 courses (5.0 units), including 1 FR course (typically FR 192A or FR 192B).
- You are in 'good' academic standing
- You meet the minimum cumulative FR average for the requested program.
The required cumulative French averages are:
- 65% for French 3-Year and 4-Year General
- 70% for Honours French plans (regular, double major, and Arts and Business co-op and regular)
- 75% for intensive specializations (French Teaching Specialization and Intensive French and Francophone Literatures and Cultures Specialization)
- 65% for French Minor
Internal transfer students
If you are a student in another faculty, please apply for an internal transfer into the Faculty of Arts. You should review the Transfer to Arts instructions and make an appointment with an academic advisor in the Arts Undergraduate Office.