In Canada and worldwide, knowledge of French language and culture is always valuable and makes an excellent transferable skill for many career paths.
About our courses and programs
The French Studies Department offers language courses from beginner to advanced levels, as well as a wide range of courses in French linguistics, translation, literature, culture and civilization.
Most of our courses are taught in French, allowing you to fully develop your comprehension, speaking, and writing skills. And, you'll have opportunities to enhance your learning:
- Gain paid work experience through co-op.
- Take the French Teaching Specialization that guarantees your acceptance to the Faculty of Education at Nipissing University once you’ve completed your program at Waterloo. This specialization makes you eligible for the $3000 FSL bursary.
- Take the French and Francophone Literatures and Cultures Specialization to develop a global and diverse perspective of French. This specialization also makes you eligible for the $3000 FSL bursary.
- Give your degree a special edge with the Professional French Specialization with courses that focus on business in French, translation, and linguistics.
- Spend one or two terms studying abroad in Quebec, France, or Switzerland.
- Immerse yourself in French by living at La Bastille, our French floor at St. Paul's University College residence.
- Apply to Arts and Business Co-op and choose French as your major at the end of first year.
- Academic Integrity
- Centre for Extended Learning
- Co-op and career services
- Course Selection Instructions
- Arts First
- Final examinations
- General university policies and guidelines
- Glossary of terms
- Important dates
- Schedule of Classes
- Student awards and financial aid
- Student Success Office
- Study Abroad
- University of Waterloo fee schedule
- University of Waterloo Undergraduate Calendar
- The Writing and Communication Centre
- Arts Student Union
- Waterloo Undergraduate Student Association (WUSA)
- French Club / Cercle français
- Imprint (Student Newspaper)
- Housing office
- French Residence Floor
- Living-Learning Communities
- Counselling Services
- University of Waterloo Health Services
- Health and Dental plans
- Student clubs
- Orientation Week